OT; how to copy the FCP disks properly before sending them in

Posted by kevin 
OT; how to copy the FCP disks properly before sending them in
April 13, 2006 09:18PM
Ok, so I'm going to send in my disks for the FCP 5.1 version. How should I go about copying them to have a second set incase something goes wrong? I know it probably a silly question for you experts, I just want to make sure they work If I need them while my others are being sent to Apple.

Thanx in advance,

Kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
Re: OT; how to copy the FCP disks properly before sending them in
April 13, 2006 09:49PM
a guy from apple posted here a few days back that you can just drag and drop copy them. id be tempted to believe that...

EXCEPT.

i tried to back up my panther (or was it tiger?) discs that way a while back and sadly found out later that a simple drag and drop left me with incomplete copies and useless discs.

im not sure if carboncopy cloner copies install discs, but id say that would be a smart place to start - considering that its free...
April 13, 2006 11:53PM
You should be able to go to Disc Utility and create a disk Image. make sure the new file is named exactly the same as the original.
I then save them on my external hard drive.
Moe.
April 14, 2006 03:10AM
Here's a simple workflow for backing up App DVDs, where possible.

First make sure you have enough free hard drive space for the file you are about to create. This one will be about 2 gig.

Insert your FCP disk
Open Disk Utility
In the menu of disks on the left hand side, select the FCP DVD
Click on the 'New Image" icon at the top of the window
Select a destination and change 'Image Format" to "DVD/CD Master"
Click Save.

Once the Image has been made, eject the master DVD.

Then in the disk utility window, select the .cdr you just made.
Click the Burn icon at the top of the window.
Insert a blank DVD for the burn.
April 14, 2006 05:11AM
Seems to me Apple must have some sort of copy protection that will stop you from using a copied disk for reinstalling? The disk returning thing bothers me as well.
April 14, 2006 11:23AM
It's my peeve too so I'll "me too" post.

In the last 2 weeks I've had UPS, FedEx, USPS ALL screw up deliveries to this office. In the last month I've had two more LOCAL clients who'd rather suffer the inconvenience of picking up dubs rather shipping because of unreliable delivery.

It's just WAY TOO RISKY to send mission critical disks in and then expect mission critical disks back. I'd rather do this through a physical Apple Store a half hour away but Apple has locked us out from that choice.

Sorry to rant about this again but I use FC Studio for a living and no professional should be asked to both send in Master Disks and wait for replacements.

In addition I've heard that 5.1 breaks filter compatibility (BCC but Boris should have patch soon) so if you discover mission critical filters not working you need a way to go back to 5.0.4 so you better back them up 'cause those disks will gone forever.

Asking customers to walk a tightrope without a safety net is not good business practice on Apple's part even if we're experienced tightrope walkers.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
April 14, 2006 11:31AM
Thanx Jude!

That is exactly what I was looking for and why I love this forum.

kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
April 14, 2006 03:08PM
I thought copying Apple program discs was next to impossible, if not impossible. I have FCP 4.5 and FCP 5.0 discs, why can't I buy the 5.1 discs like I bought the 5.0 ? We paid $1,600 for the FCP 4.5 and never opened it. Then we had to buy the FCP 5.0 at $499. So now we have to give up the 5.04 (upgraded) and buy a FCP 5.1 at $49 ? This doesn't make any sense to me. I'm sorry. And the FCP 5.1 is problematical to boot. I hope NAB nabs this problem. LOL
April 14, 2006 04:07PM
Like Jude said, create a Disc Image...only I burn safe copies of CD's & DVD's using Toast Titanium & a single burner instead of Disk Utility (same results - just faster). I make a Toast Disc Image out of the App disc, eject the disc, mount the image & burn it.

Works every time.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 15, 2006 03:30AM
huhu

you can keep your dmg on a volume until you receive the new Dvd s

if you want to be sure to burn back (in case of problem) your better of to convert the ".dmg" into a ".cdr" (still via disk utility) and then BURN WITH TOAST

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
April 15, 2006 05:45PM
And just so you know, you CAN install from mounted DMGs.

How to back up...

Insert Disk
Launch Disk Utility
Select the disk from the list on the left (choose the indented one, for example "Final Cut Studio" instead of "1.0GB PIONEER DVD-R..."winking smiley
Choose New->Disk Image from disk4s2 (Final Cut Studio) or whatever it says
I set image format to read-only and then save it somewhere fun.

Rinse and repeat.
--------

How to install from the backup if you need to...

Mount all the disc images that so you have several "disks" "mounted" on your system. Then run the installer and it will proceed through the entire process, it won't stop to ask for any disc changes.
--------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics