there HAS to be a WAY...

Posted by wayne granzin 
there HAS to be a WAY...
April 14, 2006 01:44AM
ok, i have to admit to you all here that i learned FCP on the fly back in 1999, as an old school media100 guy (at the suggestion of rene over at promax - thanks rene for saving me like $30,000). but as such, i learned mid project, so i missed a lot of the FCP fundamentals...

is there (for the love of GOD!!!!) a way to magnify the timeline straight down to the 1 second level?, i dont want two secon gaps, i dont want 15 frame gaps, just ONE SECOND!!!! is it that freakin difficult?!?!?!?!?

as ive been asking for like 3 versions now. coundnt they color code the marker at one second marks as black as opposed to more medium freakin grey?!?!??!?!

i find it odd the the guys (who acquired and repackaged) the interface that changed the wolrd cant get their collective heads around a few fundamental interface ideas.....

...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Re: there HAS to be a WAY...
April 14, 2006 04:44AM
why do you need that?

play with the various zoom levels.
look under the view menu, but buttons might be easiest.
at zoom level 100% i get 2 second increments.

nick

April 14, 2006 10:05AM
im just picky - having cut my teeth on premiere and media100, i just got used to being able to clearly see 1 second increments...
April 14, 2006 02:51PM
If you keep magnifing the TIMELINE won't you end up with frame by frame forward and backward movements each time you use the right arrow and left arrow? I sometimes cut by the frame ala film editing :-) Isn't that better than one second increments? Of course, I learned FCP from asking questions here, so I'm no expert -- LOL. But I'm curious, why do you like one second? I mean if you could magify the TIMELINE to be in one second levels -- what does that mean?
April 14, 2006 02:53PM
Oops, I put my foot in my mouth -- I realized one second (hey, in one second!) after I posted the last reply that I don't mean that I'm no expert on account of my learning everything here; I'm no expert because I didn't read the manuals. LOL
April 14, 2006 03:08PM
i just like to have a general idea of where i am in reference to a full second. its just a neurosis that i became cozy with in my premiere and media100 days.

when im very much zoomed in or out i kind of lose visual reference of relative lengths - maybe im just insane...
Are you zooming using the mouse on that God-awful thumb scrioller thing, or the keys? I live by the dedicated Timeline zoomer-- Option Plus or Minus. Surely you'll get a nice one-second spread in there somewhere. If you know how many taps it takes, you could turn it into a QuicKey on an unusued key. Tap-zoom! You're there.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
April 14, 2006 03:42PM
yeah, i normally use that little scale tool at teh lower left of the timeline - and YES, it SUCKS!.

i just wish there was a MORE NOTICEABLE marked (by color or significant mark size) point in the time ruler at even seconds... i know there is now, its just not significant.

i mean rulers have them, speedometers have them, thermometers have them - why shouldnt FCP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics