Warning?

Posted by MikeDerk 
Warning?
April 14, 2006 02:50AM
Say I put together a sequence and include Clip A in the sequence, and then for some reason, Clip A gets deleted or renamed or lost. When I open FCP it will let me know that some media is off-line, but let's say I already know this. (But I don't know Clip A is offline.)

Will FCP ever tell me again? When I go to render or export the file, will it say, "ho there buddy, you're asking to use a clip that I don't have"?

Hopefully, this is hypothetical. But I moved a bunch of stuff tonight to make room, and now I'm worried that in the middle of my output, which goes to digi in the morning, I'm going to get that "Media offline" constant frame and suddenly feel like a douchebag.

Thanks,

Mike
Re: Warning?
April 14, 2006 03:19AM
you;ll get a warning every time you open FCP, or the project until you ask not to.

how do you ask?

when you get the reconnect window on opening, tick the "forget" box next to either "media" and/or "renders"

(alternatively chose to reconect)

you can render or export a sequence that has offline media.
you'll just get the red "Offline Media" window where the clip used to be.

hope that explains it,
nick

April 14, 2006 03:35AM
Yeah, that explains it. I wish the warning would come when the render or export happened -- that's when it REALLY matters.
April 14, 2006 04:17AM
so you've told FCP to forget the files, and you're not getting a warning anymore?

well before you render/export, the offline files will be fairly prominent in the timeline.
they will be WHITE in colour, with (prior to rendering) a RED render bar above them.
if you want to make really sure your sequence is all on-line,
control or right click on it in the browser,
and choose "reconnect"

at the top of the reconnect window that opens you can choose to display online, offline, or render files.
if there is anything offline you'll soon find out.

nick

April 15, 2006 02:13PM
Thanks Nick, this is the answer I needed. I was tired and worried that I was overlooking white off-line files and that redering had hidden other issues.

Good news is that there wasn't a problem, but this will be handy in the future.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics