machine is breathing heavily

Posted by MikeDerk 
machine is breathing heavily
April 16, 2006 07:34PM
Since I got my computer in January, it's been offline, and therefore had no updates.

Recently, it started to "breathe heavily" -- the fan would turn on and off very quickly twice. This would happen occassionally.

Today, I lugged it into the house for an update (including PowerPC) and now it's huffing all the time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

FCP Studio
250 G Quad G5
4.5 G Ram

Thanks,

Mike
Re: machine is breathing heavily
April 16, 2006 07:55PM
Go to a Mac site like [www.macfixit.com] and do a search for "G-5 fan noise". You'll find that this is a common problem with a variety of solutions.

mark
April 17, 2006 02:17PM
I took my G5 in to a local Mac center a few months ago and they fixed this problem and replaced the power supply which was making a squeaking/chirping noise at no charge. My Mac is over a year old, too.

Best

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
April 23, 2006 03:51PM
There is a widget for Dashboard (free from the Apple.com site) that displays the temperatures and Fan RPMs going on inside your box.

That will help you to determine which fan is breathing heavy, in the first place, and which temperature sensor is causing which fan to cycle that way.

Armed with that data, you might have a better and quicker (maybe even cheaper) fix to the hardware problem going on.

Remember last Summer whan CBS2 took a PC, unplugged the harness to the power supply, then took it to 10 computer repair places?

hahahahahah

10 different answers. the most embarassing one came from Best Buy!

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics