Questions and info on SLIP, SLIDE, RIPPLE and Rock'n'ROLL.

Posted by filmman 
Questions and info on SLIP, SLIDE, RIPPLE and Rock'n'ROLL.
April 17, 2006 02:21PM
I've become a master on SLIP and SLIDE, but I haven't figured out what TIME REMAP does yet. I haven't usede RIPPLE or ROLL yet because SLIP and SLIDE have taken care of all the sound editing I needed to do. I'm going to tell you a few things about the SLIP and SLIDE tools in case you haven't used them extensively, but first I want to ask about TIME REMAP, RIPPLE and ROLL tools. ... Okay, so RIPPLE and ROLL are going to be most useful when assembly editing, I suspect, because the RIPPLE tool will allow me to build scenes by pushing the frames forward and finding the best edit points between two shots, right? And the ROLL tool will allow me to remove frames between shots without changing the size of the two shots combined, right? And what does TIME REMAP do? Can it take out all the red plus and minus signs on the frames that I have synched up? Or does it work some other way? ... As for SLIP and SLIDE, I find them incredibly useful in that not only do I get to synch up words perfectly; I end up saving and re-organizing all the AMBIENT SOUND around the edits, so I end up with a pretty smooth AMBIENT SOUND TRACK in the bargain. Here's what I find fantastic about these two tools: (1) with the SLIP tool I use the razor around a word or phrase that I want to synch up while LEAVING AS MANY FRAMES OF AMBIENT SOUND BETWEEN THE TWO SHOTS. This way as the first word in the second shot begins to approach the last word of the first shot, I don't end up losing any piece of either word. I can bring the two words in question as close to each other as need be, even to one frame, achieving perfect synch when the speaker hasn't allowed even a breath between their words. (2) With the SLIDE tool, I razor the word in a shot right at the edge I want to use, then I begin to slide the first word in the second shot toward the last word of the first shot until I achieve synch -- I basically end up chewing into the AMBIENT SOUND of the first shot upto the last word of the first shot.
Re: Questions and info on SLIP, SLIDE, RIPPLE and Rock'n'ROLL.
April 17, 2006 04:48PM
Ripple = move the TC of one clip - either the start of the incoming or the end of the outgoing.

Roll = move both the in and out points of the incoming and outgoing clips.

Slip = Moves the start and end TC of the current clip equal + or - amounts, but does not affect the preceeding or the folowing clips TC points.

Slide = Moves the TC out point of the preceeding clip and the in point TC or the following clip without affecting the in-out TC of the current clip.

All these tools are available to allow you to find the best transition points and timing of the clips you have to tell a seamless story. They are all limited to available media start and end points as specified when or if trimmed in the Viewer.

If you are experiencing more than a few out of sync indications in the audio tracks, you are doing something WRONG! In almost all instances except J or L cuts, you should be keeping the audio and video locked (linked) together. Do not use the Blade on just the audio tracks only. This will throw your sync totally out of wack!

Time Remaping is another way to make frame changes slow down or speed up. (Slo-Motion or Fast Motion)

Have you gone through any of the Apple tutorials or one of the Apple Pro Trainig Series books to learn this or are you flying by the seat of your pants?
April 17, 2006 06:01PM
I'm flying by the seat of my pants, but I use the best Levis :-) Thanks for the technical descriptions though. But my sound was recorded wild (separately from the picture). So every word has to be synched, and how can I keep my picture and sound locked and still achieve synch? I've synched my sound track perfectly to the picture now, so why should it be out of synch even though I've only edited my sound to fit the picture? I'm sorry, I don't understand fully the technical implications of RIPPLE and ROLL. I do understand that TIME REMAP has to do with slow-mo and fast-mo. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll note down your explanations and study them further.
April 17, 2006 08:20PM
How did you record the sound and why was it done separately? Most video formats allow for V & A to be recorded on the same tape. If it was done on a DAT or MiniDisc recorder, there should be Timecode capabilities.

Any other audio recording would be inaccurate without Timecode where Video is concerned. Editing the sound to the picture implies that the sound is not capable of tracking properly to the picture.

Somehow you are making it very tough on yourself!
April 18, 2006 12:01AM
Thank you for helping me out. I'm a filmmaker who believes in Final Cut Pro. I think that 35mm film is the best origination medium, with FCP5 as the best digital editing tool for movies made for video. I'm really excited about the potential of filmmakers to reach their audiences via DVD. So, I shot my last feature film in 35mm -- before I even had a Mac and FCP. Now I have a Power Mac G5 dual processor 2.7 kHz and FCP5 Studio. I had my movie THE WAY TO ONESELF edited on a 6-plate 35mm flatbed Cinemonta. I transfered the edited movie to DVCAM and imported it into FCP. The picture track was one piece and the sound track was one piece. I decided to finish the movie in FCP and release it on DVD. Here are the advantages for me: I shot the film with my Arri 2c and recorded the sound on a Canon Optura, then transfered the sound to 35mm mag (I also have a Magnasync Recorder and Dubber). The sound is all recorded WILD. Like in Wild Thing, you make my heart sing ... but all out of synch. LOL So FCP was a wonderful choice for me to synch up my sound and do my entire postproduction on. This way of shooting and recording sound allowed my to shoot this whole movie SOLO - one man crew. I was also able to do the Felliniesque thing and record the sound myself using the Optura and directing the actors to give me a better reading of the dialogue than would be possible if I were shooting a synch sound camera like an Arri BL 4 with a full camera and sound crew. Now editing is more fun too, but I have to learn FCP by the seat of my pants, like you said, because there's no time to do anything else at this point; I have to get this movie out. So thanks for all the help. I've posted my questions about this project before and I've receive genrous help from everybody on the phorum. I'm amazed at the goodwill and the sharing that goes on in this forum.
April 26, 2006 01:24AM
Could you fix your Return key?

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics