Weird Audio Issue

Posted by Mike Watson 
Weird Audio Issue
September 03, 2007 02:47PM
Hi all,

I'm working on a 7 minute piece that is Motion intensive. A lot of back and forth.

Yesterday, my audio (in FCP) started acting strange. Sometimes the left channel will play in slow motion, but the right channel will playback correctly. Sometimes the other way around. Sometimes both channels will go in slowmo. Video plays back correctly, and then after a few seconds (basically, at the next audio cut) FCP will realize something is wrong and tell me I'm dropping frames.

I initially had all the media on an external 500GB hard drive with about 350GB free. I moved it to the system drive (120GB with about 20GB free) and the same problem occurs.

I have trashed my FCP prefs twice. Re-started several times. Banged my head against the wall a few times, just for good measure. None of these things seems to help.

This project is supposed to be ready in the morning.

Help?

-MW
Re: Weird Audio Issue
September 03, 2007 02:54PM
How many tracks of audio do you have? Video too.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 03, 2007 03:01PM
Dump your render files with Render Manager and then re-render the audio (with Audio Mixdown) and see if anything changes. If not, try taking everything offline (SHIFT-D, Leave Files on Disk) and then reconnect. If that doesn't work either, start a new sequence with matching settings and copy everything over. A new project file, if you have to.

www.derekmok.com
September 03, 2007 06:10PM
I'm finding a similar thing on a bunch of imacs running FCE. It's just one line of Apple intermediate 108050i, with six lines of audio, and almost every time we're getting crackling with a slow motion start, then it resolves and plays correctly. In this case I think it's that the machines just don't have the grunt to cope with the work and the network and it's adjusting the framerate so that it can play correctly. I haven't had time to do any experiments yet, but I will be today.

What happens when you make a self contained movie of a short section for output? Does the .mov have the slowing problem?

September 03, 2007 07:38PM
Ok, tried all that, nothing seems to work. Blew out my render files and re-rendered, it's still happening.

Jude, I exported a self-contained version and it still happens. Slowmo audio in one ear, regular in the other. The VU meters (in FCP) read the same way.

Grrr.
September 03, 2007 07:53PM
Update:

The music I was sent is 44khz, the voiceover is 44khz, the hdv audio I shot is 48khz, and the sequence is 48khz. Let's see if a little standardization will fix this problem.
September 03, 2007 09:43PM
Also, try setting your RT to safe, quality to a lower setting, and frame rate to full. I did this this morning and it helped a lot with the FCE systems.

September 04, 2007 10:49AM
It's still happening, and the only way that seems to fix it is trashing render files and re-rendering. Even trashing the audio render files and doing a fresh mixdown doesn't fix it. Ugh.

-MW
September 04, 2007 03:32PM
When I have had audio problems in the past-
trashing FCP user preferences has fixed it-
this was not on FCE or Imac tho--Jay--
September 04, 2007 08:43PM
I don't think the preferences are the problem in my case, since this is 22 imacs, and they all show the same problem. I think it's just lack of grunt, which was pretty much proven by lowering the RT expectations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics