OT: Matrox is back in the FCP game

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
OT: Matrox is back in the FCP game
April 18, 2006 05:32PM
Re: OT: Matrox is back in the FCP game
April 18, 2006 06:01PM
OOOOoooo that looks interesting...

Now all we need is to convince Harris the new owners of leitch - makers of DPS velocity to stop making hardware acceleration for their own non-linear suite with no future and start making their powerful boxes for FCP and BooM we have adrenaline beating performance.

*Dreams of the days of no renders again...*

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 18, 2006 07:01PM
Interesting. On a similar note. I took the DVI output of my G5 and plugged into the back of my 42" HD TV. Set FCP to desktop cinema display and whola. The HD feature I am working on played back beautifully!

Now I am debating about color correcting that way. Although I am getting some resistance from the hard core colorist and HD guys.

Isn't this also similar to what the Final Touch guys are doing to get 2K output on a G5?
April 18, 2006 07:31PM
Can you calibrate the HD TV?
April 18, 2006 07:35PM
As a not-so-proud owner of the Matrox RTMac...

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Andy
April 18, 2006 07:44PM
It was the only cheap option at the time tho Ndy - don't beat yourself up - at least you didn't buy a 1st gen cinewave tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 18, 2006 10:33PM
A lot of us bought the RTMac early on - on the PROMISE of soon-to-be-released OS X drivers. Matrox pi$$ed on our heads & delayed OS X drivers for the longest time - screwing us all. LOUSY company with LOUSY customer loyalty. I won't be giving them my money anytime soon.

Good Luck.

- Joey

Post Edited (04-18-06 20:34)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 19, 2006 09:26AM
I may be missing something - but - the Decklink HD adapter does all that with DVI to HD display and the (albiet) more expensive Decklink Multibridge does all that!?
Anonymous User
April 19, 2006 10:16AM
Yes but this looks more like a dinky box for PowerBooks for the field. That seems to be the niche that is missing.

yes but...
April 20, 2006 01:38AM
" Hardware accelerated output of DVCPRO HD, HDV, and Final Cut Pro Dynamic RT segments "

how would they do that through a DVI ?

ho and I love the " guaranteed audio/video sync"

remains me something...

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
April 20, 2006 04:02AM
They're basically saying that they have scaling hardware on board which scales up DVCPROHD and HDV to the square pixel 1920x1080 or 1280x720 sizes and thus takes some load off the CPU. AJA and Matrox choose to call it "hardware acceleration", Blackmagic doesn't.

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.uk
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
April 20, 2006 06:25AM
ok, I understand how Aja would do it with it's integration in the whole process through a Pci ( X or e) card

but how could Matrox do that properly when getting at the end of the process through the DVI ? I mean ... ok for rescaling but accelerating ?

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
April 20, 2006 12:47PM
Well you have to take the "Accelerate" description with a pinch of salt. From a marketing point of view, "Accelerate" sounds so much sexier than "Rescaling" :-)

AFAIK (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this) AJA and BlackMagic aren't doing anything super secret or special. They're simply taking an HDV stream (at 1440x1080) and rescaling it to 1920x1080 using a hardware scaler. The same thing happens with a DVCPROHD stream but of course the original frame size is different.

So they're all using hardware scaling and selling it as "acceleration" except that AJA and Blackmagic are YUV all the way. In the Matrox solution you're going YUV (from timeline) to RGB (Cinema Desktop) and then back to YUV (for SDI or HD-SDI), which doesn't seem like such a great idea.

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.uk
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics