FCP & Sony Z1U - HDV to DV down convert

Posted by Ben Ged Low 
FCP & Sony Z1U - HDV to DV down convert
April 22, 2006 02:16PM
I've mastered the HDV show back to tape, using the Sony Z1U. I want to recapture the show as DV (to make a DVD), down converting with the Sony Z1U.

But I can't get FCP and Sony to talk to each other when:

FCP is set to DV NTSC

Z1U is set to HDV (plus down convert)

And if I set the Z1U to DV, it won't play the HDV tape of course.

CAN IT BE DONE?:

FCP (HDV) master to tape (Sony HDV)

then recaptured USING FIREWIRE from the Sony to FCP as DV?

Ben
Re: FCP & Sony Z1U - HDV to DV down convert
April 22, 2006 09:43PM
No, you have to downconvert from FCP to SD and then set the Sony to record in DV, not HDV.
April 23, 2006 01:41AM
Loved your idea ben.
i wish it worked.

I wish.

SL8UP
The Z1U downconverts to SD DVCAM, as well as DV. Maybe it's just checking the format menu that will solve it, because a friend of mine is merrily capturing downcoverts live via FireWire into his DVCAM deck.

And footage looks richer than native DVCAM, as well as being future-proofed.

Sounds like a winner! Assuming you shoot film-style in RECORD RUN, otherwise the TC breaks will make FCP batching next to impossible on standard offline decks. Been hearing about that as well.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
DM
April 23, 2006 08:50AM
It should work if your settings are right. I've shot with that camera, then, using the Z1, I made a DVCAM transfer from HDV to DVCAM via firewire to my deck. In my case, the HDV was just a source tape used for the shoot. I was more or less forced to use this camera for......the usual reasons.
I did the editing in DV (DVCAM) by importing the DV from the deck to FC. I've run into problems before with DV firewire and FC using a camera instead of a deck as the source machine.
In addition, maybe there is something about your new master that FC and downconverting doesn't like. Try transferring to a deck and then to FC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics