HVX200 + FCP + MacBookPro?

Posted by tduncan 
HVX200 + FCP + MacBookPro?
April 22, 2006 07:28PM
Is this not a good setup? I am getting a lot of mixed signals from web forums and apple stores. First no PCMCIA slot or FW800 on the MBP. Now I am hearing that it doesnt play FCP very well? Should I get a G4 instead?

What is a good HD equipment workflow if you were starting out from scratch? (I already have the camera). Assuming I want to keep FinalCut and need portable HD for clients to view.

thanks,
tom
Re: HVX200 + FCP + MacBookPro?
April 22, 2006 10:20PM
It works fine with the new version of FCP, FCP 5.1 Crossgrade. In fact, it works VERY well, and VERY fast.

The issue that you will have is there is no PCMCIA slot, so you cannot put the P2 cards into the computer. You will need either the P2 store, P2 card reader (both above $1500) or you will need to import using the camera. The camera method is very inefficient as you then use the ability to shoot with the camera. There is no PCMCIA adaptor capable of reading a P2 card at this time. Maybe at NAB...we'll see.

PLUS...DVCPRO HD needs at least a FW800 connection, which the MacBook Pro does not have. It has a PC slot that not many companies have made card adaptors for. But that may change soon.

So, which right at this instant, the macbook pro is not a wise choice, that may change in a few months.

But it won't work if you need it to work tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics