Very weird with nested sequences

Posted by Johan Polhem 
Very weird with nested sequences
April 24, 2006 01:12AM
I just noticed something very very weird with FCP that has eluded me before.
If I nest a sequence and then want to change the nested sequence by double clicking on it in the timeline.

Whatever changes I do to it does not get updated in the master sequence.

So if I drag a comp named "comp_1" into a new sequence, double click it, do some changes, those changes will not be there when I open "comp_1" from the browser.

Why is this?

Its the complete opposite to After Effects.
Is there a way to change this?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Re: Very weird with nested sequences
April 24, 2006 01:51AM
> So if I drag a comp named "comp_1" into a new sequence, double click it, do
> some changes, those changes will not be there when I open "comp_1" from
> the browser.

When you put a sequence/nested clip into a timeline, that copy becomes its own reference. Much in the way when you double-click on a clip in the timeline and put new In/Out points, those are only reflected in that specific incident of the clip in the timeline, not the master clip in the Browser. That's why I hate nests. Whenever I do need to use them, I would do it the long but safe way -- I modify the actual sequence in the Browser and recut it into the timeline. That way there is no confusion as to which one is the latest version.
April 24, 2006 01:57AM
Thanks.

As I suspected.
Damn, that is incredibly dumb of Apple.

is there a reason to have it this way?
I cant find one single situation where this could be useful....

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 24, 2006 02:09AM
I love that you can have multiple copies of the same nest to start with, and modify them independantly!

Think of the nest in the browser as your 'master' copy, and the one on the timeline as the son (or daughter..) of the master copy. It is its own entity. If you need another son (etc.), you just make a new one from the master. If you need a new copy of the one you're working on in the timeline, you make a copy from that - and ithat's the grandkid.

It's truly useful for versioning and nests within nests within messed up versions of nests within nests.
April 24, 2006 02:26AM
yes that's why Fcp create a sort of "new sequence" in the browser(wich is "the nest" ) when you nest from within the timline

and THIS ONE will always be updated
and what ever you editing in it will be updated in the timeline

it's no "dumb" from Apple, it's a deliberate choice, a way of thinking and working specific to Fcp

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
April 24, 2006 02:38AM
I have to disagree.

its not very bright at all.

Firstly, lets say you have a few copies of the same nested sequence in a new timeline and then you realise you want to alter them for whatever reason.

You now have to either go into every single one of the copied sequences and do exactly the same changes, or you have to redo the whole damn timeline after changing the master.

And if you want to update just the nested sequence that you are working on and keep the original master intact, then why the HXXX cant you just duplicate the master and then replace that duplicate copy with the nested sequences in the timeline like any other program would.

The current way of doing this is ONLY moderately useful if you have one copy of the nested sequence in your timeline.

its stupid.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 24, 2006 04:34AM
we could debate for hours / same old story : "what ever convenience you get from one side you loose it on the other side."

April 24, 2006 09:57AM
Yeah - horses for courses. For eg., personally I think the trim window is useless, but lots of people live by it.

I have no trouble with nesting - been doing it for years and love the way it works. For sure there are others like you that think it's completely backwards. It's a bit like the 'auto select' argument.
April 24, 2006 10:53AM
Dear Jude,

I have to desagree with you
the trim window is VERY usefull

(just kidding) although ... here a utility, not for trimming: It's the faster way to know instantly how long you have left (unedited) on BOTH side of a transition, (just look at the points)

April 24, 2006 08:38PM
Heh. You'll never take me alive, Francois!

I use the trim window on an Avid cause that's the way it thinks, but on FCP, if'n I don't have to, I don't wanna. And I'm not gunna. tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics