Urgent hard drive HDV issue

Posted by Phil 
Urgent hard drive HDV issue
April 24, 2006 12:00PM
Have a job shot on HDV and am in the process of painfull upgrade to FCP 5 (which is taking time) and need to start HDV job. Have FCP 4.5, going to install Tiger 10.4 and use a friends FCP 5 disk as temporary measure while we wait for our new FCP disk from Apple. We have a Lacie big disk Extreme 1 TB but will get a G RAID due to the passionate recomendations I have recieved from this Phorum. Question is would the Lacie handle it if GRAID does not show up on time. This all madness but that is life...thank you
Re: Urgent hard drive HDV issue
April 24, 2006 12:08PM
from what ive heard the biggest lacie issue is longevity. id gamble it will do just fine in a pinch...
April 24, 2006 12:29PM
Hi wayne, do you mean gamble on the Lacie and firewire 800? Phil UK
April 24, 2006 12:42PM
sure! cant hurt to try it... there are a lot of folks who swear by lacie stuff - though i do not count myself as one of them...

you can always capture to the lacie now, then move it all over and change your scratch disk once you get your G-raid.
April 24, 2006 02:08PM
If you use the lacie, get the data onto a backup ASAP.

The main problem with lacie drives is overheating. (oh and maxtor mechanisms!)

Make sure the Lacie is kept cool - maybe invest in a big desk fan to blow over it.

Otherwise you should be good to go.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 24, 2006 05:27PM
Hi.

Ben is right.
After having some bad behaviors with my LACIE, a big computer fan and a power adapter have solve my problems.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics