G5 single dual core/FCP 5 and HD

Posted by Phil UK 
G5 single dual core/FCP 5 and HD
April 26, 2006 02:42PM
My company is buying a G5 dual core 2.5 for working with HDV/HD...I believe it is just the single dual core and will this be OK to run normal FCP 5 using HDV? I have heard that there is various extra costs and updates incured for those of us with 1 year old Apple software (FCP/Motion etc...)
Re: G5 single dual core/FCP 5 and HD
April 26, 2006 05:19PM
The only 2.5 Ghz dual-core is the Quad Macintosh. The 2.5 Ghz Mac earlier than the 2.7 was two discrete CPU chips.

""there is various extra costs and updates incured for those of us with 1 year old Apple software (FCP/Motion etc...)""

Not sure what you mean by this? One year old software IS Final Cut Studio (as it was introduced at NAB 2005) If you only have one of the pieces like Final Cut Pro 5 without the Studio, then rush to the Crossgrade deal, as for $99.00 you get the whole thing.

Reason why it might be a very good idea, because Apple is giving you one good chance to catch up before they issue the next Full Package ONLY - upgrade.

Post Edited (04-26-06 15:22)
April 26, 2006 05:53PM
Yes, you will be able to edit HDV on that machine. Be sure to get 2 internal drives, the second for your captured footage. To view the footage on an external monitor you wil need a video card from Aja or Blackmagic.

good luck,

kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
April 27, 2006 10:47AM
addition or Kevin's post...

or better still an external FireWire 800 RAID or even a eSATA-II Card and External SATA II RAID...

For HD uncompressed you should get the latter or maybe - depending on budget - you could get a 4Gbps Fiber Channel Card and RAID.

Look at 1TB, 2TB & 4TB RAID options.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics