Conforming

Posted by Steve Douglas 
Conforming
December 26, 2007 02:51PM
This morning when I went to render all I got a new message window that read 'Conforming HDV' with a very long time to complete moving very slowly. After 10 minutes and only 9% done, I cancelled and yet all was rendered. I've been working in this sequence for some time now and have never seen this before. My sequence settings are 1440x1080 AR HD 1440x1080. This sequence is a mix of footage shot in a Sony A1-U HDV cam and some very old footage from the 60's which had been placed onto a DVD which I then ripped; the old stuff is 704x480 at 29.97fps. The HDV footage were the first clips placed on the timeline.
I'm working in FC 6.0.2 on OS 10.4.11

Just never have seen this 'conforming HD' message before...can someone explain it to me.

steve-sharksdelight
Re: Conforming
December 26, 2007 06:09PM
That's the HDV 'frames' being put back into the correct order. It has to be done on HDV before export. There's an FAQ here that will help explain : Why is HDV different to other formats?

December 26, 2007 07:45PM
Jude, thanks for the response. I guess the reason I've asked is that even though I have been working with HDV sequences for awhile, this is the first time I have seen this particular message come up. Perhaps it is because I am working with different formats, HDV and SD, in the same sequence. Could that be it?
Steve

ps. Okay, it took a long while but it finished conforming. Then I added a simple dissolve between clips and went to render using command/R.....the conforming message came up again with an original estimated time of 2 hours. Something isn't right and I can't explain it.

steve-sharksdelight
December 27, 2007 01:17AM
Uuhhmm, I dunno. You should have been conforming if you've been cutting natively...

What kind of sequence do you normally cut in? Is this one different? Did you use the FCP 6 auto setup for your sequence, so that it got its sequence settings from the first clip you dropped in it?

December 27, 2007 04:41PM
I'm really stuck with this one. I created a new project using easy set up, HDV 1080i 60, dumped an HDV 1440x1080i clip on it and it looked and played well. The clip, of course, matched the sequence settings. I added a simple glow filter and hit command/R. No render window but another 'Conforming HDV' window appeared which, when done, rendered out the filter. This shouldn't be as there was nothing to conform. Added another HDV clip and placed a dissolve between the clips. Again the Conforming HDV window came up.

Can you think of any steps I can take to ameliorate this? I admit, it is beyond me. Don't know what to do at this stage.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
December 27, 2007 04:54PM
Is this FCP 6? Shouldnt happen. Try changing your render settings. That was something one had to do in FCP 5. You will have to conform when you lay off though.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 27, 2007 07:52PM
in your Sequence > Render menu uncheck the "Full" option

it is conforming because it is rendering the clip even when it doesn't actually need to render for playback
December 27, 2007 11:35PM
Like I've said, like Larry Jordan has said-- acquire it and get it the heck out of HDV!! Encode to ProRes422 or AIC. ABH-- anything but HDV. Great for cuts-obnly, terrible for multistream, effects, et al.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly clear BOTH In-Out Marks with Option- X !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack-
the ideal affordable gift for shortcut-hungry colleagues.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics