PAL Version

Posted by Dale Kutzera 
PAL Version
January 08, 2008 06:40PM
What's the best way to create a PAL version of a film? I have output the film to Digibeta as an NTSC. I suppose I could just have this tape dubbed and converted to PAL. Is is possible to use quicktime conversion to create a PAL quicktime file, then export that to digibeta?

DK
Re: PAL Version
January 08, 2008 06:50PM
If you're making a version for DVD then I wouldn't bother, since we can easily watch NTSC DVDs on PAL DVD players.

If it's for a film festival or broadcast delivery, read this :
Q. How do I convert PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL using Compressor 2?

Or, if that's too long winded or hard, yeah, use a post house to convert it for you.

I doubt that your NTSC DigiBeta will give you the option to record in PAL, but I don't know all the models, so could be wrong.

January 08, 2008 09:48PM
I need a Pal tape for a theatrical screening...I think from Digibeta but perhaps from BetaSP. From that tutorial you referenced, it seems that conversion through Compressor II would take days to do on my computer. So I'm probably looking at a dub house. Thanks for the help.

DK
January 08, 2008 10:54PM
compressor doesn't take that long- it's around a full day for an hour if you're on a G5.
January 08, 2008 10:55PM
Should there be a smiley face on the end of that?
January 08, 2008 11:02PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> compressor doesn't take that long- it's around a
> full day for an hour if you're on a G5.

unless... you're on a pc grinning smiley
January 10, 2008 08:25AM
I suggest Natress's Standards conversion filter - it works brilliantly -

Nattress Standard's Converter

It rescales NTSC to Pal and the other way too - we used it on a shoot in Africa -- Zambia's local standard is PAL - saved us a bundle using our own NTSC camera rather than renting PAL Gear -- edit everything as you do normally - then apply the filter to a nested version of your sequence - the filter rescales everthing (PAL Frame size is slightly larger than NTSC) and changes the frame rate -

It produces beautiful results and a bargain at 100.00 for the filter - Graeme offers a tutorial on the site how to do it. go here NTSC to PAL tutorial

Much faster - better results than with Compressor

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics