Color Shifting during Playback

Posted by reneal3 
Color Shifting during Playback
January 22, 2008 06:39PM
Hi All,

I'm working on an 3d animated feature and have encountered a weird problem. If I am parked on a shot, the image looks fine, but when I go to play it back, the color shifts, tinting the shot red. My sequence is 1280x720, Photo Jpeg, 23.98. I'm running final cut 6.0. Since the shots are native to my sequence, I don't have to render, but just fyi, I'm set to render in RGB space. If any one has had this problem and knows how to solve it, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rob

MAC Pro 2 x 3 GHz QUad-Core Intel Xeon, 5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 ram
Re: Color Shifting during Playback
January 22, 2008 06:44PM
It might be over taxing the processors and RAM. When it is parked, you see the full quality clip, when played, it plays back a low quality proxie image, so that you get smooth playback. If your processors are up to the task, and you have enough RAM, and fast enough hard drives you might be able to do this without a color shift. But, even with that I get that with uncompressed HD footage.

So...as the old saying goes...do not use the computer monitors to judge the quality of your image, trust only an external monitor.

Shane's Stock Answer #2: Blurry playback

ONLY JUDGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR MATERIAL ON AN EXTERNAL NTSC MONITOR, OR AT LEAST A TV.

[docs.info.apple.com]

Video playback requires large amounts of data and many computations. In order to maintain frame rate and be viewable at a normal size, only about one-fourth of the DV data is used in displaying the movie to the screen. However, the DV footage is still at full quality, and is best viewed thru a TV or NTSC monitor routed thru your camera or deck.

The canvas shows you what happens after the codec you are working with has been applied. The viewer shows you the material in its native format. There are a couple things you can do to make it look better:

1. Disable overlays on the canvas
2. Make sure you've rendered everything (no green bars at the top of the timeline

But still, your computer monitor will not show you a full quality image. For that you need an external monitor and a proper output device, such as those made by Canopus (ADVC 110, 300?only for DV), AJA, Black-Magic or Matrox.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 22, 2008 07:25PM
You normally see that if you have your canvas set to show RGB and Alpha kind of in the opposite to what you describe - that is - fine when playing, but with a red tint when paused. Since you are working on RGB, could it be that you actually need a slightly different canvas display? Not sure, but worth a shot. Go to View > Channels > and try some configs there.

January 22, 2008 07:27PM
Thanks for the info! I'll try these suggestions out. If anyone else out there has a different take, I'm all ears!

Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics