Expanding multiclips in the timeline

Posted by Tim Johnson 
Expanding multiclips in the timeline
February 08, 2008 02:30PM
I'm using Automatic Duck to export an FCP project for an Avid user. Sadly the FCP project uses multiclips, which is not supported in A-Duck. What I'd love to do is expand the multiclips inside the FCP timeline itself, so that the various angles magically appear in the video tracks above the multiclip on V1. Does anyone know if that's at all possible?

Many thanks
Tim
OS X 10.4.11
FCP 6.0.2
Re: Expanding multiclips in the timeline
February 08, 2008 03:21PM
Will the Avid editor be re-editing the multiclip sequences? If not, then you can simply collapse multiclip and then you'll be able to export with Duck.

I don't think you can explode the multiclip.

andy
February 08, 2008 05:37PM
Thanks for the response -- and yes, the Avid editor will be recutting. It seems I don't need to collapse the multiclip -- Automatic Duck will just export whichever is selected. All I can think to do is copy and paste the multiclip into V1-V10 (there are ten angles); set each edit on V1 to Angle 1, each edit on V2 to angle 2, and so on; and collapse every clip on every video track, so that the Avid editor has access to all clips at all times, and they're all synched -- but there must be an easier way..?!
February 08, 2008 05:58PM
Tim said
there must be an easier way..?!

No offense, but there DOESN'T need to be an easier way. You're talking about going from one NLE to another after a multi-cam edit has already been performed and wanting to have all the angles available for the Avid editor. Avid and FCP don't even speak the same language which is why you need a third party app just to 'port from one to the other. There's no reason to expect that you might need to explode a multiclip inside FCP since you can always see the other angles and try different shots to your hearts content.

Unfortunately, when you have to do something like what you're doing, you're going to have to resign yourself to a LOT of extra work. If it's any consolation, you're doing it how I would if caught in the same situation.

The only other solution, is just to have the Avid editor start from scratch with their OWN mult-cam.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics