Optical port

Posted by Nick Baer 
Optical port
May 08, 2006 11:41AM
Can anyone tell me a practical use for the Optical Out port on my G5 - amongst us FCP Suite users?

I bought the $15 optical cable last night.

I've always been curious what it's for? smiling smiley

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Re: Optical port
May 08, 2006 12:08PM
It could be used very well for optical audio, although none of the manufacturers have really jumped on it yet. Maybe somewhere down the road with 5.1 or 7.1 mixing and monitoring (next version update?).

Have fun with the cable.

Clay
May 08, 2006 12:46PM
I believe the optical port was removed from the later versions of the G5 - at least my Quad doesn't have it on the front.
May 08, 2006 01:02PM
I use it to connect to my monitor speakers. Edirol MA-10D. Works well.
Anonymous User
May 08, 2006 03:06PM
Is it just me and the fact that I haven't slept in three days...

Does anyone else find it weird that you use the OPTICAL port to get your AUDIO out?

...things that make ya go, "hmmmmmm"....

Okay...back to work!

May 08, 2006 03:31PM
If that works, does that mean I can plug my camera into the headphone jack?

IDTS...

Scott
May 08, 2006 03:46PM
The telecommunications industry has known for decades that using glass fiber optical cable to transmit data is more efficient than using wire, when large quanities of data are needed to be moved from one point to another simultaneously.

The Optical port is not passing physical sound or picture, it is passing 1s and 0s of data. Light can be broken down into more channels than electricitical radio frequancy waves can, so you can get more types and kind of data down a fiber each millisecond than a wire, with less interference between the channels, and less distortion over the length of the cable.

My question has to do with what to do with my $15 cable? What can I plug it in to, to have a good time?

Part of the issue with 5.1 and now 7.1 sound is whether Tiger can pass 5, 6, 7, or more seperate tracks of audio data simultaneously on the USB bus to an external sound card device, or if I have to get my hands bloody and implant an internal card....

Or if I could use an external Optical sound device.

Anonymous User
May 08, 2006 04:06PM
Yeah, Nick, I'm sure most of us knew that.

It was just a joke.

Maybe a lame one, because I am sleep deprived, but a joke none the less.

May 08, 2006 05:41PM
maybe you should have asked the question before you bought the cable winking smiley

nick
May 08, 2006 06:02PM
I just feel like I've got a new $15 suit on, all dressed up with no where to go - and I live 2 bocks from Sunset Blvd.

Post Edited (05-08-06 16:04)

May 08, 2006 06:10PM
that's because you didn't have anywhere to go before you bought the suit!

now, with a nice new suit on, you *might* be able to stand on a street corner, and wait for someone to come along and invite you somewhere.

but i cant see that working with an optical cable smiling smiley

nick

May 08, 2006 06:44PM
>My question has to do with what to do with my $15 cable? What can I plug it in to, to have a good time?<

Unless you have some sort of amplifier device with an optical audio input port then you are S.O.L. Although you can plug your $15 cable into the G5 output port and look at the pretty little red light it emits. Have a good time with it!
May 08, 2006 06:58PM
You know, ever since that day in March, 1985 when I bought my first Mac (and went on the publish the first newspaper done on Mac desktop publishing in Minneapolis/St. Paul), I've always felt I've been a bit ahead of the curve.

Today, I'm $15 ahead of the curve.

May 09, 2006 02:15AM
"Speaking of speakers "

what about those " Edirol MA-10D " or any one (self-amplified) with optical audio in. full audio spectrum ?

any recommendation ?

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
May 09, 2006 04:06AM
I think you have a $15 party necklace like no other-- provided you get a laser light pump attached. That will probably cost 15K.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
May 09, 2006 12:14PM
Edirol MA-10D

Discontinued.

sigh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics