OS X FireWire Drive hiding files

Posted by Howie 
OS X FireWire Drive hiding files
May 08, 2006 12:10PM
Hi Group

I realize this is an OS X Tiger question, but I haven't been able to find any answer anywhere and I'm hoping someone can assist me.

I have OS X Tiger set-up on my internal system hard drive and on my external FireWire drive. When I copy my iDVD 5.0 project files to the FireWire Drive I am unable to see them when using the FireWire Drive as the start-up drive. I can only view the project files files on the FireWire Drive when I use my internal system drive as the start-up drive.

Why are the iDVD 5.0 project files invisible on the FireWire Drive?

How can I work with these files when using the FireWire Drive as the start-up drive?

Do I need to adjust any settings?

Thanks

Howie
Re: OS X FireWire Drive hiding files
May 08, 2006 01:47PM

Is it the same version of Tiger in both installs?

Are you the same user on both installs? Open a terminal window in both OSs and type:

whoami [enter]

Is it the same version of iDVD? You can make iDVD save the project files to anywhere you want, right? Can you see the files in both finders, ignoring iDVD for a minute?

Koz
May 08, 2006 01:48PM

Oh, one more. Your external drive is formatted MacOS Extended--not journaled, right? Do an INFO on the drive.

Koz
May 08, 2006 04:54PM
Koz

The answer to your questions:

1. Is it the same version of Tiger in both installs? Yes.

2. Are you the same user on both installs? Yes, I believe so. How do I double check this?

3. Is it the same version of iDVD? Yes.

4. You can make iDVD save the project files to anywhere you want, right? Yes.

5. Can you see the files in both finders, ignoring iDVD for a minute? When I use the external firewire drive as my start-up drive I can only see the files on that drive. When I view the finder of the internal drive I still only see the files of the firewire drive.

If I use the internal drive as my start-up drive I can then see iDVD project files that were copied to the firewire drive.

6. Your external drive is formatted MacOS Extended--not journaled, right? It is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled).

How do I open a terminal window in both OSs?

What's my next step?

Thanks.
Howie
May 09, 2006 11:46AM
<<<How do I open a terminal window in both OSs?>>>

This will put you in touch with the UNIX system running underneath OSX.

Start the machine on one of the two OSXs.

Applications, Utilities, Terminal.

There's no pictures. It's all text. Type:

whoami [enter]

Close the terminal, restart the machine to the other OSX and do it all again.

You should get the same user on both operating systems, "koz" in my case.

<<<If I use the internal drive as my start-up drive I can then see iDVD project files that were copied to the firewire drive.>>>

...*And* the ones on the internal drive? The ones on the FireWire drive are always visible and the ones on the internal drive come and go depending on where you start?

This may be normal for a dual boot, dual drive system. I doubt it, but I need to ask around here in the shop.

Koz

May 09, 2006 11:53AM
While I 'm waiting for an answer, I will tell you that iDVD is a slightly odd duck in that it will only burn to an internal SuperDrive. It will not burn to an external burner like the other programs will.

It's possible that a lot of the external drive abilities are missing from iDVD. If that's true, then you're stuck starting the machine from the internal drive to use iDVD.

Koz

May 10, 2006 07:30PM
Koz

Your answers?

1. Are you the same user on both installs? Yes.

2. *And* the ones on the internal drive? The ones on the FireWire drive are always visible and the ones on the internal drive come and go depending on where you start?

No, the project files on the FireWire drive are not always visible. It seems that the only time I can view a particular drives? files is if I use that drive as the start-up drive. Let me clarify.

I created project files on the internal hard drive. If I use the internal drive as my start-up drive I can see these iDVD project files on both the internal hard drive and the copies I dragged to the FireWire drive.

If I start from the FireWire drive I can only view the iDVD project file created on the FireWire Drive. This same file appears on the internal drive, however, the files that were created on the internal hard drive are no longer visible.

I await your reply.

Thanks
Howie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics