Canon XL2 Please Help!

Posted by thatfoolsean 
Canon XL2 Please Help!
May 08, 2006 05:02PM
Hey Everyone,

I am filming a project to be distrubted over the web encoded with DivX. The project is going to be shot on a Canon XL2 and edited by three different editors using Final Cut Pro 5 on two G5s and a G4. My issue is this, when I am deciding to use a frame rate, I am unsure as to which to use. With 24p and 30p, we are concerned with the fact that one of the editors doesn't have an XL2 to capture from, and that we are going to be splicing in footage taken directly from discs handed out at the media booths at this conference. That leaves us with the option of shooting in 60i. I was wondering if there was any knowledge I needed to know about 60i, I take it that it is just like editing any consumer miniDV camcorder's footage, or even that from the XL1. Thank you for your help, I am rather new to frame rates, and a little unsure about how to capture and what timelines to edit on with the XL2.

Thank You,

Sean
Re: Canon XL2 Please Help!
May 08, 2006 05:42PM
You don't need the XL camera to play back your 24p (or 30p) footage. You can capture from a regular DV deck normally. If you shoot 24p advanced you'll need the capture preset to remove pulldown, but again you don't need the camera to capture the footage correctly; it functions like any other DV footage. It all depends on the look you want: 24p looks closer to film, 60i is regular video and 30p is somewhere in between.

>we are going to be splicing in footage taken directly from discs handed out at the media booths at this conference<

What does that mean? Are you pulling footage from DVDs?

JK

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics