Multi-cam

Posted by ScottJames 
Multi-cam
May 09, 2006 12:20AM
Hello, and thanks to all who visited and helped during my last dilemma... and thanks in advance for your anticipated help this time... I really appreciate it. Here we go...

I'm trying to figure out the multi-cam function of FCP-Studio. I was able to watch all four camera angles of an experiment that I created, play at the same time in the viewer, after syncing up the in points. When I wanted to select one of the clips, I simply made sure that the desired clip was selected... marked the out point, and then dragged it into the timeline. I would then establish a new inpoint at this outpoint, and then play again until a switch to another camera was desired; at which point, I would stop again... mark the new out point... drag the clip into the timeline and butt it up to the previous clip. I repeated these steps until finished. This process, although seemingly inefficient, worked better than the old method of stacking four clips onto each other and blindly cutting the top one to reveal the ones underneath.

Another method was to create a multi-cam sequence so that I could select clips in real-time and have them appear in the timeline. This was far more efficient, but when monitoring the four cameras in the viewer as the timeline played, there was no motion at all. The clips were still images.

So here's my question:

How can I monitor four cameras in the viewer as they all play video together and be able to select clips one after another, to have them appear in the timeline, as they are selected-- until another is selected-- without having to stop.

Since I couldn't accomplish this, I thought that there was something corrupted in my installation of FCP-Studio; so I reinstalled everything without contacting tech support because I bothered them a lot during my initial install (flying solo was a nightmare, but I'm certainly ready for the third time at this point). This was a drastic move that didn't help; but I'm desperate.

Thanks for any help that you can provide... especially if your help doesn't include reinstalling anything! smiling smiley

Scott
Re: Multi-cam
May 09, 2006 01:21AM
once you have your multiclip on the timeline......put gang mode to "open", and all your angles will play along in the viewer with the timeline.....what I do is add edit, or razor blade where I want the switch to be......then control click the new edited clip, scroll down, and choose an alternate angle.....very sweet!

Cameron Young
Re: Multi-cam
May 09, 2006 01:45PM
wow wow wow

Reinstalling? Multicam should work fine if you follow these steps.

1) Take the four clips you want to cut together and select them in the Browser. Control-click that and choose Make Multiclip (not Make Multiclip Sequence). Sync them by In or Out point. A new clip called "so-and-so multiclip" should appear in the Browser.

2) Double click it so it loads in the Viewer.

3) Pressing the Option key click over the Viewer and drag the multiclip to the sequence. Release. Click somewhere in the sequence, and press Home.

4) In the Sequence, there's a button called RT. Click it and choose the following: Playback Video Quality- Medium (or Low, depending on your system); and Multiclip Playback. At the end you should see a check mark beside them.

5) Go to either the Viewer or the Canvas. On top of it there are three buttons. Click the middle one, and choose Open

6) Click the Sequence again (or press Command-3, so it's active)

7) If you haven't already done so in step 3, press Home again. Now, get ready, take a deep breath, and hit the space bar. The four clips should play simultaneously in the Viewer. By clicking over each one (in the Viewer), you're in fact cutting to that one. Make your edit as if you were in an editing bay at a live show.

If you have time to look, blue markers will start appearing in the Sequence. After you stop playback they disappear and become cuts on your timeline.

It's also a good idea to have a look at the manual, as it goes into more details (meaning options).

That's it. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics