Best CrossPlatform Web Video Codecs?

Posted by clvsjeff 
Best CrossPlatform Web Video Codecs?
May 09, 2006 12:55PM
Hi,

I'm producing a series of 15-20 minute downloadable video programs to be posted on a website that's being created. They'll be shot in DV, and I'll be using Final Cut 5 and Motion for postproduction. Subscribers will pay to download the videos, but I'm confused about which way to compress the content for web delivery.

I have plenty of compression tools, (QuickTime Pro, Compressor, Sorenson Squeeze, and Compression Master) but I'm not sure about the best codecs to use for maximum cross platform compatibility. I'm willing to create choices for the end user if necessary, but the question is, what's the best way to reach Windows users?

Jeff

Re: Best CrossPlatform Web Video Codecs?
May 09, 2006 01:16PM
i think flash is the most seamless for cross platform. but its a bit harder to create.
so id say probably sorensen3
Re: Best CrossPlatform Web Video Codecs?
May 09, 2006 01:27PM
What I do on my own website is to have dual formats -- MPEG-4 for Apple, WMV created via Flip4Mac for PCs. It's also been argued in here convincingly that MPEG-1, a format that's been around since the dinosaurs, is one of the best cross-platform downloadable formats. A lot of FCP-related tools I've seen no longer include MPEG-1 as an option, though; I have no idea which tool to use to create those.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics