Theoretical Ripping Advice!

Posted by heath 
Theoretical Ripping Advice!
May 11, 2006 10:42AM
Can someone please advise me?
I was at a Bar Mitsvah (Oy!) and noticed that the Family's homevideos being projected were intercut with video and audio from Children's Movies (Beethoven, A Bug's Life, Princess Bride, etc...).
Can someone tell me how this is done, and what devices (software? hardware) are needed to accomplish this?
Of course, I would not be using this for financial gain -- it would be to make a similar video for an older family member. This is all theoretical anyway.
Now that we're all protected...
Thanks very much!
Re: Theoretical Ripping Advice!
May 11, 2006 10:52AM
mactheripper DVDxDV or (can't remember the exact name - something like MPEG Clipstream
Anonymous User
May 11, 2006 10:53AM
There are lots out there but the choice du Jour seems to be Handbrake

[handbrake.m0k.org]

May 11, 2006 10:58AM
ah! Remembered Mpeg Streamclip - great at getting DVD material back into editable form
May 11, 2006 11:47AM
Does Mpeg Steamship do the job also?
May 11, 2006 11:56AM
only on the high seas
May 11, 2006 12:46PM
Thanks so much for your reply!
Will this program let me import the ripped footage into FCP say I can toy with it?
May 11, 2006 01:00PM
> Will this program let me import the ripped footage into FCP say I can toy
> with it?

No, it will not.

MPEG Streamclip can convert MPEG-type movie files, including the VOB files on a DVD, into FCP-compatible formats -- QuickTime movies in various codecs. However, MPEG Streamclip cannot break through the copyright encoding that comes on most commercial DVDs to prevent copying.

Technically speaking, duplication even for personal use is prohibited. But if you still want to do this...or if you encounter a job in the future that requires this (eg. the producers/distributors of the film only have their encoded DVD and want you to extract the footage), then use Mac the Ripper to make a copy of the files on the DVD, then use MPEG Streamclip to convert the resulting files to an FCP-compatible format. Mac the Ripper will break through the encoding, but won't produce FCP-compatible files, so you need both applications.
May 11, 2006 01:13PM
There is software out there called CINEMATIZE --
are you familiar with it? I would love to consolidate all these steps (Mac the Ripper into SteamClip into FCP) into 1 step.
Thoughts?
May 11, 2006 01:18PM
> There is software out there called CINEMATIZE --

Never used it myself, but the difference I can tell right off is that Mac the Ripper and MPEG Streamclip are both free downloads; Cinematize 2 is not. MPEG Streamclip has certain other versatilities as well, such as demuxing MPEG-1s with audio muxed with video.
May 11, 2006 01:25PM
OK, so in summary (not to be a moron, but I'm new at this):

If I want to extract a scene from Princess Bride, I 1st can use Mac the Ripper, then Use SteamClip, then import that into FCP, right?

Thanks!
May 11, 2006 01:48PM
> If I want to extract a scene from Princess Bride, I 1st can use Mac the
> Ripper, then Use SteamClip, then import that into FCP, right?

Basically. You'll have to choose what format to work in, because MPEG Streamclip can create a multitude of QuickTime formats -- DV, Uncompressed SD, Photo JPEG. Several quirks about MPEG Streamclip:

1. You have to locate the right VOB file in the DVD to convert. Most DVDs contain about half a dozen VOB files or more, and about half of those tend to be menus, graphics etc. Generally the main program would be disproportionately large -- say, 600MB vs. 2-10MB for the other VOB files.

2. You have to first "Fix Timecode Breaks" (APPLE-F) after opening a VOB file or you will not have access to the full program.

3. MPEG Streamclip is not immune from hiccups in the image. These don't tend to be consistent, so if one conversion fails, you can always try again.

4. Wayne Granzin has reported better quality for the conversion by using Photo JPEG at 100 per cent quality and at full frame size. This hasn't worked for me, though -- I get streaks, artifacts.
May 11, 2006 10:44PM
2 things.

mactheripper to rip and remove protection.
mpeg streamclip to get it into an fcp friendly form

DONE
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics