Nested sequence question

Posted by Paul C 
Nested sequence question
May 11, 2006 11:10PM
Hi,

I like nested sequences but there's something I don't get about how they function and I can't find anything in the manual etc.

Let's say I have 2 clips in the timeline stacked on top of each other, same length and each has plenty of in-out point space for a transition at either end.

I want to put a transition on either end of this little 2-clip segment so I make the 2 clips into a nested sequence right there on the timeline. So far so good. But now I can't get a transition in at either end because now there's no available in-out point space.

When I move the in and out point on the nested sequence to allow a transition, it shortens the duration of the whole thing. And yet both clips on their own had plenty of in-out point space for a transition.

Any way to have my nested sequence and enough "handle" space left over for a transition?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks ...
Re: Nested sequence question
May 11, 2006 11:34PM
A nested sequence is treated as a complete piece of media. The application will not go inside the sequence to see if the clips have media that will allow a transition. The simplest way is to ripple back the nest a few frames in the parent sequence to make room for the transition. Or you can can go inside the nest set I and out points that define the limits of the nest and then extend the media there, but that works best if you think about it before hand.

All the best,

Tom
May 11, 2006 11:49PM
Or don't make a nest at all - just apply the same transition to the head of each clip, and they will act together. Like this

All types of transitions will work the same way, and there's no limit to the number of tracks you can stack and manipulate in this way.
May 11, 2006 11:56PM
As Jude suggests, I'd usually try to avoid nesting as well, preferring to just execute the transition on separate clips. There's one proviso, though, which is that many "geometric" transitions, such as slides and wipes, will behave erratically when applied between a clip and a blank track. Many of these only work normally when used between two real clips in the timeline.
May 12, 2006 12:06AM
I've never found that, derek - I use slides to shove results tables on and off above video all the time. Are you making sure they all start on edit, or centre on edit, or whatever it is that you want them to do?
May 12, 2006 12:16AM
Once again, many thanks guys.

I had no idea you could put transitions above the first video track.

Cheers,

Paul
May 12, 2006 01:42AM
> Are you making sure they all start on edit, or centre on edit, or whatever it
> is that you want them to do?

Yep. I'm usually pretty precise with operations, and I've found the above-described problem to be consistent. What tends to happen is that you get black bars that become part of the slide on the V2 object. And I know for a fact that the Nattress G Film Lab Dissolve definitely behaves strangely if you're using it to fade to/from nothing. I just used them on a music video, and I was unable to use that particular transition unless there was a clip on both sides.

Cross dissolves and non-additive dissolves work fine, though.
May 12, 2006 02:10AM
to avoid any weirdness of one trans affecting the one below it,
i would put the incoming or outgoing clip onto a 3rd track, and put the trans on that.
(this wont work in all cases, though)

but as tom is saying, if you want to trans a nest, the handle has to be already extended, i.e. VISIBLE INSIDE the nest

nick

May 12, 2006 03:01AM
>>Nattress G Film Lab Dissolve definitely behaves strangely <<

Yeah - I just tried that one and it dips to black. With the push slides if you crop the side of the incoming clip by 2 or 3 pixels (depending on the camera it was shot on) you lost the black bar. If you like you can then zoom the picture to, say, 102 and shift it to fit the frame again.

Since I'm often pushing in graphics, there's no missing picture area in the push, but it's easy enough to clean off if you want to use the slides.
May 12, 2006 07:02AM
The only ones that really need to be inline to work properly are the 3d transitions.

All the best,

Tom
May 12, 2006 11:02AM
> Yeah - I just tried that one and it dips to black. With the push slides if you
> crop the side of the incoming clip by 2 or 3 pixels (depending on the camera
> it was shot on) you lost the black bar. If you like you can then zoom the
> picture to, say, 102 and shift it to fit the frame again.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jude, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing -- when I do push slides, I usually implement a two-to-five-pixel black border anyway instead of having the clips flush against each other. The black bars I saw with V2 "blank track-to-clip" transitions are big fat ones, between 1/4 and 1/3 of the screen in thickness.

Next time I see one, I'll post here to you and Tom -- I'd love to get your input. It could well be that I'm remembering the 3D transitions instead of basic slides.
May 12, 2006 08:33PM
Hmm. Yeah - post a pic. I don't get the problem here...
Yeah, Jude, I'm digging that embedded image. First time I've seen that. That will be very useful. Mike, why have you not mentioned that capability before?

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
May 13, 2006 01:54AM
I think he just added the image support a few days ago. It is a LOT easier than trying to explain some stuff with just text. Thanks Mike.

For those who want to know how to do it, you need to upload an image you want to embed to a site (you could use a hotmail site or somthing similar if you wanted), figure out what the address is, and then link to the address like this

.. hope that works in text..

damn - it doesn't. Use square brackets like this [] around the work img at the start, and /img at the end, and put the addy of the image in the middle. Maybe I should link a picture to show this lol
Cool. Thanks, Jude.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics