Keyframes and Motion workflow assistance?

Posted by jusrus 
Keyframes and Motion workflow assistance?
May 11, 2006 11:45PM

Hey all,

At the moment I'm doing a lot of work with keyframes and motion, which I have under control.

My question is related to workflow. What I would like to do is apply the same keyframes and motion on one clip to a whole lot of clips. Is there a way to do this? I do something very similar when using effects by copying and pasting the effect in the viewer window, and have found it to be very effecient.

However, this doesn't seem to be available under the motion tab in the viewer window!

Any ideas? Running FCP 5.0.4

Thanks....Justin.
Re: Keyframes and Motion workflow assistance?
May 11, 2006 11:54PM
> My question is related to workflow. What I would like to do is apply the same
> keyframes and motion on one clip to a whole lot of clips. Is there a way to do
> this?

Select the clip in the timeline and copy it (APPLE-C). Select the other clips you want the effect applied to, then press OPTION-V (Paste Attributes). This calls up a list of possible "attributes" you can paste onto the new clips, including filters, Motion-tab settings, Opacity, Distort, and all keyframes. Be wary of pasting Motion settings, though -- if you have Motion keyframes, it's not uncommon for those keyframes to be out of place. For example, if you copy the keyframes from a clip at 01:00:00:00, then Paste Attributes the Motion settings to a clip at 01:05:00:00, often the keyframes for the new clip are still stuck at 01:00:00:00, even if the clip doesn't reach that far back in the timeline.

Another method is to perform the Motion changes in the first clip, then open up the clip to its Motion tab and press CONTROL-F (Make Favorite Motion). This creates a "Motion Path" object in the Effects - Favorites bin of your Browser. You can now move that object to a bin in your Browser and rename it. Now whenever you want this Motion setting applied to a clip, drag the Motion Path object from the Browser and drop it onto the clip. You can select a group of clips in the timeline and drop the Motion Path onto all of them at once.
May 11, 2006 11:54PM
Copy the clip with the keyframes you want, then select the clip you want to add the keyframes to, and select Edit > Paste Attributes > Basic Motion.

You can also use the checkboxes to apply anything else you want from the copied clip at the same time.
May 12, 2006 12:01AM
GUYS!

Both techniques work beautifully! No problem it seems so far with derek's first suggestions - maybe because all the clips are EXACTLY the same length!

In any case - you guys rock! Thank you from the bottom of my Australian heart for the 3 hours work you have just saved me!

Cheers....Justin.
May 12, 2006 12:04AM
Where are you in Oz, jusrus?
May 12, 2006 12:06AM
Fitzroy, Melbourne!
May 12, 2006 12:08AM
Noice. I'm in Perth. My mum lives in Carnegie though, so I get to visit and play in Melbourne, which I love!

Good luck with the project. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics