Software tool for drop out

Posted by lonn bailey 
Software tool for drop out
May 12, 2006 06:01PM
Hello Guys

I have a tape that has a slight head clog on it. The color fades in and out.

I recall software that I found here that was made to fix light drop out problems etc.

Some other tools also. Very reasonable price, like ten or 20 for each tool.

I can't find them here, though they used to have an add.

Does anyone recall the software I am thinking about and the company name.

Its just the red channel too it seems. weird clog I have never seen it before. But after a light cleaning in the field it cleared up, so I guess that it was little piece of tape on the head in the wrong place.

any other ideas would be welcome.

I have had real problems lately with SONY BetacamSP 30 and this tape was some Quantegy that I tried, and it sucks, the cassettes squeaked on some of the Quantegy tapes. Now they are out of business I hear.

Anyone know who is actually doing quality control these days for BetaSP tape, and recommend a brand. Fugi seemed to be okay, when I used them, don't recall problems, but I said the same thing about Sony until the last couple of months when I have had severe drop out on some of their tapes.

thanks.,

Lonn Bailey
Re: Software tool for drop out
May 12, 2006 06:25PM
You might be thinking of Digital Heaven's $10 plugins, one of which will fix pixel dropouts, not sure if that applies to your problem. Check them out at [digital-heaven.co.uk].

Scott

May 12, 2006 08:14PM
Yes thats the product, thanks Scott.

And you are correct its not the tool. After visiting the site I recalled how it worked.

Though I am happy to report that I was able to get a stable excellent picture. Looks like new.

When I waited a few seconds and the processing software of the Black Magic decklinksp card took over, it was usable but not perfect. I went in Photo Jpeg. The TBC of the card did a good job of correcting on the fly.
Even on playback without being rendered it was usuable, But if you went frame by frame you could still see the pulse.

When I rendered the Jpeg for the sequence, Frame blending was turned on and motion blur. Took care of it, .

thanks for the quick reply,

fyi when I played back this tape on two different SP decks, the picture pulsed with the internal TBC from the decks. It didn't correct for the error. My next step was to hook up another external TBC and see if that would do it. Didn't have too, the BM card did a pretty good job, and the render with frame blending did the rest.

Wheeww, the client was the founder of a very large medical company and there was no second get back today. Thanks for help saving my bacon.

Lb

Post Edited (05-12-06 18:18)

Lonn Bailey
I haven't used DH_Dropout for pixel sparkle, but for analog "blur fields" it's a peach! Fixes most of them right out of the gate, no setting tweaks. Field-addressable! The first!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
bj
May 13, 2006 10:47AM
In the past i have had problems with Fuji SP tape.
never had a problem with Sony Sp tape.

Have you thought about using the area on the tape where the color fades in and out as a B & W sequence?
BJ
May 13, 2006 11:21AM
BJ,

The tape is fixed. And I suggested this to the client and they weren't interested. No offense to the client, but these were some good words from the talent about his starting the company, and they weren't interested.

somehow that tells me something, I don't know exactly what, yea I do,. LOL

I have had terrible luck with sony lately. I have one tape that is so bad that even digital heaven will not fix this puppy. Shot tapes 1-3 perfect tape 4 starts in the middle, lots of break up. Tape 5 Perfect, Tape 6 break up out of the gate.

I looked at the breakup frame by frame, and its like there isn't even any place for the signal,

Two other guys have had the same problem. I don't think quality control is very important anymore.

Going to go back to Fugi. Don't recall any major problems like recently with sony,. If it was just me I wouldn't be concerned so to speak, bad luck, batch who knows. But multiple people on different cameras.

Lonn Bailey
May 13, 2006 11:37AM
My ratio,.. out of 3 cases (sony) two tapes ended up unusable. Thats not good in my book.

With the Quantegy (which I bought because it was made in the US, and made in Alabama. I was told that it was made under high quality control by the rep, I questioned them hard). They assured me,

This was in Oct Nov. Now I find out that Quantegy is out of business, plant closed in alabama. I bought two cases to try. So far out of 5 tapes. 3 casettes started to squeak so loud, that I had to put a folded piece of 3 x 3 duvy to quiet the camera deck. There was no correlation between the cassette squeak and the drop out. Drop out on tapes that did not squeak.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is having any trouble.

Lonn Bailey
May 13, 2006 11:38AM
> I have had terrible luck with sony lately. I have one tape that is so bad that
> even digital heaven will not fix this puppy. Shot tapes 1-3 perfect tape 4
> starts in the middle, lots of break up. Tape 5 Perfect, Tape 6 break up out of
> the gate.

Before you jump on the brand, when was the last time this camera was serviced?
May 25, 2006 04:54PM
Before you use words like "jump on the brand"., try asking your question with a little class.

It was the tape pure and simple. don't like that, are you a sony rep, Tell Sony. Ask them about their tape smanufacturers, and what their standards are, and let us know. Because I am seeing problems. Who manufactures Sony tape, same company, or do they move around to the lowest bidder these days. I don't know. But considering business practices these days, should I be surprised.

I have been in this business for more than 30 years. Jump on the brand, are your words Derek, and ill chosen.

As for your Question.

The camera was not an issue, I KNOW this. The tapes in question were shot several months ago. The camera was not in need of service. Lots of tape have rolled thru since then. It was NOT the camera. It was the tape. AND if you will notice I said OTHER production personnel were reporting problems also around the same time.

Lonn Bailey SOC

Post Edited (05-25-06 14:56)

Lonn Bailey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics