OT: LAFCPUG 8th Annual Meeting

Posted by Shane Ross 
OT: LAFCPUG 8th Annual Meeting
June 19, 2008 11:36AM
Man...great meeting. Breath of fresh air to get someone talking CREATIVE over technical. Norman did a great job in condensing a semesters worth of information in 30 min. Really got you thinking about story and decisions behind the cuts you make that help tell that story. And how to think about scenes...how do they fit in telling the story? Or can they be cut? Good stuff.

Larry Jordan's flurry of tips...Always nice learning how to do new things.

Meeting people. This is the funnest part. I got to meet Gino Andrews...a guy we all helped last summer and fall. I love meeting people face to face.

Derek...you are in town. Why the HECK don't you ever come to one of these? There is no excuse for us not meeting in person. And there is pizza afterwards at one of the best pizza places in town.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: OT: LAFCPUG 8th Annual Meeting
June 19, 2008 02:36PM
Yeah, great show last night. I am now determined to do more of this. Really getting tired of teaching nothing but the tool and I think a lot of people are too. Need much more craft at these meetings. Norman did a great job.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2008 04:44PM
Well, from a new-comer, student editor, (four meetings now) I have to say that it was a refreshing addition to the meeting.

I might add, too, that as someone new to editing and the "tool", I am not tired of "tool talk". Some presentations may be over my head (like that guy in April basically talking in binary!) but I learn so much everytime I go that I can't conceive of not going!

Norman was great, down-to-earth and I extremely enjoyed listening to his perspective. Afterwards, I had the chance to meet him and he said he has a new book coming out probably in Nov. about/titled The Lean Forward Moment. He forgot to mention it so let me pimp it for him!
June 19, 2008 04:56PM
No, I'd never get rid of tool talk at lafcpug meetings as that is what most people come to see and hear. Just add a bit a craft talk. Maybe split the show up in halves like last night. The hard part is not finding working editors, its finding working editors who can articulate the craft. THAT is really hard. And that is why we don't do more of this sort of thing. So..a shout out to working editors who CAN discuss the craft. You are welcome at lafcpug anytime.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2008 06:54PM
Hey Mike, I have three short films where I have first cuts available for comparison with the final cut -- before/after, basically. I've used them to teach editing, get people's opinions about the decisions, etc. If you're interested in adding some more creative elements to the technical, I can bring them at some point.

www.derekmok.com
June 19, 2008 07:11PM
YOU mean you will actually SHOW UP?

Duuuuuude..

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 19, 2008 07:12PM
Yeah right, Derek show up?! Sure Derek. I'l call your bluff. July 23. You're inked.

grinning smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2008 09:35PM
Derek showed up not long ago was it like 4 months ago?
Norman was awesome I sat across from him at pizza and learned some more, really nice person.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
June 19, 2008 09:37PM
Oh we really need a spot light when we have speakers who stand up so we can get them recorded better.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics