Are you sure? Oh, I'm sure.

Posted by frankpledge 
Are you sure? Oh, I'm sure.
July 08, 2008 09:08AM
I searched forum to no avail.

EVERY time i want to insert cut some stuff (aka normal source viewer to canvas/timeline edit) on my timeline FCP tells me:

1 - my that clips further down the timeline will go out of sync - which it does not...ever! It doesn't matter if there is video and audio all over the place, it just pushes it all down, as it should (which is not the case when working on the timeline itself, but ALWAYS when cutting in clips from the viewer to the canvas)

2 - included in this message is: "Are you sure?" Excuse me? Am I sure? What are you, my producer!? Also, watch the officious tone, Mr. FCP-program-thing.

Actually, sometimes it asks and then other times it doesn't. I can't figure out what the difference is. But once it DOES ask, it never, ever stops.

I have TRIED to make all my vid/aud uniform on the timeline - as in all on the same tracks as the incoming cuts - but no go. It's still wondering if I'm sure. even after doing a billion times.

anyway. can this "moron message" be shut off? it's driving me to madness. Is there a button i can click called: "Yeah I'm sentient and paid to be sure". I looked in the user prefs but see nothing.

OR - does anyone know what i have to do to "please" fcp to let me do my thing?

Otherwise, I think we should add to the feature list a new setting called: Guess what? I know what I'm doing.

thanks y'all
fp
Re: Are you sure? Oh, I'm sure.
July 08, 2008 09:15AM
oops: fcp 5.1.4 PPC Tiger 10.4.11

thx
July 08, 2008 09:21AM
"i want to insert cut some stuff"

Exactly what are you doing here? Step-by-step. What's the clip, video and audio, what targeting do you have set. I ask because I've never seen a warning.
July 08, 2008 10:16AM
Source clip. In viewer. Target tracks are V1 A1 A2.

I find something I like. I place in/out on source clip in viewer window. I hit the Yellow button on the canvas window indicating an insert edit.

Message appears: "This operation would move items out of sync. Are you sure you want to continue?"

I must click 'YES' to make this edit/operation.

I am placing the clip in part of the timeline that has clips already edited "before" or say earlier on the timeline and some additional select material (actually not edited yet) AFTER the edit in point on the timeline.

As per below:

////// X \\\\\\\

///// = What i have edited

X = where I am inserting my new clip

\\\\\\ unedited additional material on the timeline. ALL video & audio at this point in the timeline are on V1 A1 A2. JUST like the incoming clip from the source viewer.
SOLVED. still terrible function
July 08, 2008 10:29AM
ok. I had an audio clip AFTER the edit point in the timeline that was "out of sync" as in - it indicated that it was out by x amount of frames etc. It was sitting alone, among a bunch of other 'selects'. I deleted it and now i can insert again.

It was just a left over chunk of audio that i left there (on A1 and A2) and whatever.

It STILL doesn't make any sense to have this message as the clip is already "telling" me that it's out of sync by x frames. Additionally inserting new clips earlier in the timeline - aka before this out of sync clip - does not make the clip MORE out of sync. It just pushes it down further on the timeline. The amount that it is out of sync does not change.

furthermore, most of this edit I'm working on relies on me cheating audio all over the place causing me to purposely move stuff out of sync all the time. I don't mind that I have red bars all over the place indicating that my aud&pic are out of sync. It's a blessing.

But FCP is sorta making 'decisions' here that I find aggravating. Additionally I think that FCP and I are having an issue with the term: "out of sync". Out of sync with what? Out of sync to me = married aud&pic are not in sync with each other anymore. Not really some grand "things are out of sync" or the timeline has out of sync things on it.

In the end I just don't understand the value of this function other than slowing me down. Like i said in my original post, I know what I'm doing here.

thanks everyone...
fp
July 08, 2008 11:11AM
You usually shouldn't that "sync" message unless you have locked tracks. So either you locked some tracks you weren't aware of, or you have corrupt preferences. I can't think of any other situation where you'd get that message preventing you from making Insert edits.

www.derekmok.com
July 08, 2008 12:04PM
no locked tracks. i would say no corrupt prefs. It's that 'out of sync' clip sitting later on in the timeline. which i wanted there. I put it there. I liked it there. Deleting it off the timeline was the fix.

I think it's just a poorly designed function/message. I don't think it should tell me that even if my tracks are locked somewhere. MAYBE if i have so many tracks that they are 'off screen'. maybe. meh. I'd rather take my chances.

thanks Derek
fp
July 08, 2008 09:38PM
hey, frank.

yeah, that sync warning is annoying for sure.
especially as it's not exactly accurate

you will get it when your edit point has a split edit,
or if where you want to make the cut has video of one clip, and audio from another (that is still linked to video)

you just have to ignore it, as there's no way to turn it off.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics