Problems capturing with Canon HV20

Posted by cdrozda 
Problems capturing with Canon HV20
July 16, 2008 02:16PM
Has anyone solved this problem?
I am using FCP6 on a MacPro 8 core Itel Xeon machine, and have had problems capturing from my Canon HV20 camera.
I have tried many different setting combinations (capture setting, device control, easy setup), and am sure the camera is set to output in HDV.
What happens is: either I get a "normal" looking log and capture window where I can control the camera from the l&c window but when I hit "capture now" the error message says there is no data, or I get a very small window called "HDV capture" that only gives me an option to name the file and click "capture" or "cancel" that will capture the footage but allow no other controls.
I have also tried all kinds of combinations of closing and reopening the l&c window, unplugging and plugging in the camera at both ends of the firewire 400 cable, closing and reopening FCP, restarting the computer, shutting down the computer and then unplugging and replugging, ad nauseam. I am also following the camera manual's procedure of "start the camera in play mode, plug in the FW cable, then start FCP" (except that I have experimented with other things also).
So, it seems that I am able to "capture" the footage, and it seems to be HDV (still images are larger than 720 x 480). What I'm most worried about is, since I am not able to identify the "reel name" on capture, how will I ever "capture project" in the future? And what happens if (when) I rename the captured files?
Plus, it would be really nice to be able to set in and out in the l&c window, capture clips, and use FCP as it's supposed to be!
..... Haven't even tried setting up to capture standard DV, yet.... that's next.
Thanks for all of the ideas and help!
Cindy
Re: Problems capturing with Canon HV20
July 16, 2008 07:34PM
See if any of these solutions work from our FAQ Wiki

[www.lafcpug.org].

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics