Re-capture footage that was originally captured as audio only

Posted by Mike Watson 
Re-capture footage that was originally captured as audio only
May 16, 2006 12:13PM
Hi,

I share an FCP edit room with a few colleagues. At times, one of us will take in an audio feed, and uncheck the "video" box in the Log and Capture window.

This is a universal setting, and when you forget to re-check it before you close the Log and Capture window, it stays applied for the all users.

Later that day, another editor will come in to use FCP, and start taking in video clips. Even though it's only ingesting audio, you can still see the video on the monitor. (I'd like to take a moment to thank the genious at Apple who decided to code it this way.) You may ingest 10 or more clips before realizing that you're only getting audio. (We're using capture "now".)

My question is this: Obviously, I've already got the timecodes in the bin of the clips I need. I feel like I should be able to Batch Capture the video for the audio clips that I have, but I can't find a way. Clicking "Video" back on in the Log and Capture window only applies to future clips. Re-capturing the existing audio clips only results in re-capturing the audio.

Any ideas, without having to go back and do it one-by-one?

Re: Re-capture footage that was originally captured as audio only
May 16, 2006 01:10PM
Go to the finder and delete all the media files.
Re-open the project and all your clips will have a red line through them (off line). Open the log & capture window and make sure you have video and 2 channels of audio selected in the "clip settings tab". Set the desired capture preset in the "capture settings tab". Then hit Batch capture and Make sure you UNCHECK the options box that says "Use logged clip settings". You will now be able to capture all the logged clips with the new settings.
May 16, 2006 08:50PM
does that still work, frank?

i've had intermittent results with that,
but it could have been just a bad day for me smiling smiley

another way is to take the files offline,
then (in FCP5) select the offline files, control click and chose "Clip Settings"
then set them to include video.

this way you can SEE in the browser that the clips are formatted correctly.

as far as that goes:
Mike wrote:
"You may ingest 10 or more clips before realizing that you're only getting audio"

you can SEE the first clip you've captured is audio only, just by glancing at it in the browser.
it should never get past that stage, really.
"To lose one clip's video is misfortune. To lose two is carelessness"
or so someone once said smiling smiley

nick

May 17, 2006 12:56AM
Nick Meyers wrote:

> as far as that goes:
> Mike wrote:
> "You may ingest 10 or more clips before realizing that you're
> only getting audio"
>
> you can SEE the first clip you've captured is audio only, just
> by glancing at it in the browser.
> it should never get past that stage, really.
> "To lose one clip's video is misfortune. To lose two is
> carelessness"
> or so someone once said smiling smiley

Really?

I've often quoted the phrase "if you de-select video while you ingest, COULD YOU RE-SELECT IT WHEN YOU'RE DONE??".

That piece of wisdom has gotten me ... well, here, to learn how to fix it when it doesn't get re-set. :-)

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I'll give it a try in the morning.

Incidentally, I think I'll be driving up from San Diego for next week's meeting. My first!

-MW
May 17, 2006 03:07AM
how about:

"Before you capture, CHECK YOUR SETTINGS"

man, i need to remember that one.
yes, i've captured just audio too!
hang on, have i?
no... but i've logged it.
and i HAVE started to capture, then thought "I wonder what the settings are", stopped and checked, and saved myself 40minutes of wasted time.

here's a thought:
do you use FCPRescue?
that's a pref-trasher.
read about it here:
[www.lafcpug.org]
get it here:
[fcprescue.andersholck.com]

that would probably reset the clip settings in L&C.
you could set that to run on startup,
but you;d lose some other things, like FCP remembering what the recent projects were,
scratch disks, etc, etc

nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics