Pulling the trigger...

Posted by Jim Thomson 
Pulling the trigger...
May 17, 2006 01:42PM

I am new to FCP and have to get a machine now! I am either going to get a 17" Intel with and external monitor....or....a heavily configured Quad. What does this group think?

I am hesitant to get the Quad as it might be a boat anchor in 2 years. If I get the 17" I can then upgrade to an Intel workstation when they become available...and keep the laptop for obvious reasons...

Really angsting over this and could use some feedback...
Re: Pulling the trigger...
May 17, 2006 01:52PM
If you did a forum search, you would find plenty on tihs subject.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 17, 2006 01:57PM
Get the Intel -- PowerPC's are yesterdays news...anything from here forward will be optimized for the Intel machines....
May 17, 2006 02:05PM
> I am hesitant to get the Quad as it might be a boat anchor in 2 years

You wouldn't have to worry about that -- the editor I've been working with is still using a G4 from about four years ago. As long as your machine can produce the work people need, it doesn't have to be the newest model.

That said, there's a reason why they switched to the Intel chip, and an Intel machine would probably be more upgradeable. I'd probably go with Andy's suggestion. Really, the only negative might be that you'd be one of a generation of guinea pigs if there's anything wrong with Intel machines we haven't discovered yet.
May 17, 2006 04:16PM
A 17" Intel (iMac),I assume you mean is not the right computer for FC STudio.

MInimum RAM and storage capabilities along with one video card soltion is very restrictive. Sure, yu could make this work, but at what performance cost.

And NO, I would not be afraid to get G5 today. They will still be humming along 5 years down the road.
May 17, 2006 05:05PM
I was actually consdering the 17" MacBook Pro with 2GB main, an external monitor, and external drive(s) of some sort...

A monster Quad is about $5600 and the MacBook Pro is $3,099...I have extra 23 inch NEC displays to use as the monitors...

Your thoughts....?

Thanks for the reply...
May 17, 2006 05:13PM
O.K. --- Time for a reality check.

I'm working on a small HD project for myself on a Dual Intel machine - it works! HOWEVER - If I edited with FCP for a living, and I needed a machine now, I'd get the Quad machine, no reservations. None of the MAC Intel machines, as of yet, are reasonably expandable -- there are restrictions on memory and internal disc space, and it's not easy to get two external monitors to work.

If you're a pro, your time is going to be worth much more than your computing hardware. If you're getting paid, the Quad machine will pay for itself in a month, easily. Also, there has not been enough time for a real "shakeout" of FCP on Intel machines. If you like experimenting with new stuff, and you're willing to put up with all the problems that the newest stuff brings, sure, go ahead get the Intel, but if you have project deadlines, no way.

I believe that the current Power PCs are going to be obselete in about 16 months -- however, If Apple hadn't switched to Intel, and stayed with Power PCs, they'd be obsolete in, oh, about 16 months.

The best choice may be different this Fall... But if you can't wait, get the Quad.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
May 17, 2006 07:38PM
I suppose IF you MUST have a portable laptop system, the 17" MacBook Pro is the next big thing to try out. Notice I said" try out! Since there aren't many doing this at the moment, it is up to you to give it a go and tell us how it has worked out for you.

Personally, I choose to purchase a Quad last December, as I don't want to go through the beta testing phases of the Intel-FCP shakedown.
May 17, 2006 10:20PM
FWIW...Travis is right. If you're a Pro, you can justify purchasing a fully loaded Quad right now if needed (which is what I did) and let those that must have the latest / greatest "BETA-test" the MacBookPro for us. Hopefully by the time they release the Towers with the Intels inside, they will have worked out the majority of bugs / flakyness of the "Universal" software. By then, you should have done enough freelance to pay for the Quad 10 times over.

My 2¢

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 18, 2006 10:59AM
OR pick up a used G5 dual 2.7 or 2.5 etc. You can find them fully loaded for about 60% the cost of a new machine and when the Intel Macs get the bugs out you can get one of them. Plus some of the used machines come with some cool software you might not buy (or afford to buy) yourself. A year ago I picked up a fully loaded G4 dual 1.42gz machine with an IgnitorX card and Shake & Combustion for $1000. I saved off the various components of the Shake & Combustion to CDs in case the HD crashes and since I don't have the serial numbers, I can't upgrade them. But I do have them to learn and use for free. Food for thought in these times of change.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics