2hr40min project on 1 DVD?

Posted by sam lawlor 
2hr40min project on 1 DVD?
May 21, 2006 09:43AM
Hello,

Ive got the first cut done of a feature documentary I' making. It's 2hours 40 mins long and I'd like to get it on one DVD.

Ive got a Dual 1.8 ghz G5, 10.3.9, 2,25 GB Ram, running FCP 5.0, Compressor 2, DVDSP2.

Is it possible to compress this size of project onto one standard 4.7 DVD-R?

I've searched the forums, done a few tests, and am aware of the need to export A/V separate for Pal discs (I'm based in UK).

Would just like to know if its worth trying - as it would be a big waste of time to go through without having a chance of success...

Thanks for your time

Sam
Re: 2hr40min project on 1 DVD?
May 21, 2006 10:56AM

That's going to be a job, isn't it?

I'm holding in my hand "Princess Mononoke" which is a 2:15:00 movie on one DVD.

However, cartoons tend to compress really well, and Mononoke has vast segments of the story where there is little or no motion, which also compresses really well.

You will not find any preset MPEG2 compressor/encoder settings that do what you want. You will be experimenting with custom Average Rates in the 2 and 3 range and peaks in the 4 and 5 range. Two Pass Variable Compression is guaranteed which means you will be compressing the show for days. Literally.

After the first couple of failures, you will have a much better idea of the settings to use and then--in about two weeks or so--you can come back and tell us how you did it.

Koz

May 21, 2006 01:16PM
That's what dual-layer DVD's are for. 8.5 GB of space to allow for a decent encode rate and log than average movie and audio files. My guess, if you could stuff that onto one 4.37 GB layer, t would look like - terrible!
May 21, 2006 02:59PM
I've just been through all this. I was at 1 hr 50minutes and no way would it fit on a DVD-R authored through DVD studio pro.

Like the fella's above said its about the compression. I started by contacting a replicator. If you burn to tape, they have the ability to take your DLT work compress it and burn to a dual layer dvd.

My issue was;... you begin to loose your work because now they author the DVD with your input for a price I wouldn't pay. It was my first major project and dam'it I was doing itall.

If I were you I'd start by contacting a replicator you plan to deal with.

Neil
www.furnitology.com
May 23, 2006 04:35AM
Thanks for the responses.

It seems like it may be best to deny myself the luxury of a DVD copy of my roughcut. I might just hook up my VCR and put it on a nice long VHS.

Koz - I'll experiment once I've got my final cut locked, and will report back a workflow that works then...

I may end up spending a bit of money getting a pro to do it though... 3 years of my life on this film only for it to look crappily compressed - no.

Cheers

Sam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics