**The Great Internerd running summary**

Posted by Jude Cotter 
**The Great Internerd running summary**
May 23, 2006 09:31PM
Here's a list of the collected questions to date.

1. FCP can't see my camera/deck. It used to work fine, but now I can't capture. . FCP won't see my camcorder/deck/FW device/drive. Nothing has changed on my system, it just suddenly stopped working. Really

2. My picture is freezing all the time. Video plays OK on the timeline, but when I try to play it in the canvas or on my external monitor, I only get sound and a frozen picture, or very jagged movement.

3. My effects/titles look bad in Final Cut but look okay on tape. Why?

4. How do you get clips from a Movie DVD into Final Cut?

5. I don't get audio from a movie file I just imported into FCP. I can hear the audio if I play it in QuickTime Player, but there's no sound when I play the file in FCP. Why?

6. Why do I hear popping sounds on the sound in my timeline?

7. Why isn't FCP letting me apply video transitions? Transitions are only one-frame long.

8. I import songs from a CD and it worked at first, but now the files are missing and won't play.

9. I'm capturing video, but all my files are coming up as 2GB, and I'm getting weird file names with a long string of numbers attached to them. It?s skipping frames. It?s very slow.

10. I have my Video Playback settings right, but I'm not getting picture in my external monitor.

11. My sound sync is fine if I just play the tape or watch my clips in QuickTime Player, but sync sounds off if I'm watching the clips in the FCP Viewer or timeline.

12. Q. When I play my footage in the viewer it plays fine but when I drag it to the timeline why does it have to be rendered to playback?

13. What's with the green checkmark?

14. My Canvas is white!

15. Will FCS run on my new _______ ? PC?

16. How do I get good slow motion?

17. I can't seem to make Media Manager work. Is this a bug?

18. Why and when do I need or want to de-interlace? What does de-interlace mean, anyway?

19. How do I get rid of echo I recorded in a big room?

20. My audio is really low. I only have the mic on the camera but the speaker is at the other end of the auditorium. What can I do?

21. I shot a concert with a friend's camera but the lighting was really bad. The singer in the spotlight is completely white. How can I fix this?

22. I have some footage that is very dark. What can I do to make it brighter?

23. I shot a wedding for my friend using her Sony DVD camera. How do I make it look better? How do I put the clips into an HD timeline?

24. How do I make a HD DVD?

25. How do I work with P2 files?

26. What are the differences between all of the HD formats and which one do you recommend I buy now?

27. How can I export the highest possible quality quicktime of my project? What codec should I use?

28. How do I get my project onto a DVD to play in normal DVD players?

29. Why do my stills/titles look bad/bump in FCP?

30. Is there a codec that handles an Alpha Channel that I don't have to render EVERY TIME I bring it into a timeline?

31. How do you uninstall FCP?

32. My FCP won't launch. What's wrong?

33.How can I make a WMV? I am trying to export a file so that it is a Windows Media file. When I do it it is only doing 19 seconds of a 38 second file. Only half of the video works.

34. What is a RAID? Why would I need one? How do I make one?

35. How do I make my video look like film??

36. How much RAM should I get? Will more RAM help with....

37. Why is my canvas red?

38. How do I add timecode so that the client can see it on his computer?

39. Where can I get cool plug-ins for FCP?

I didn't include the 'how to make Star Wars titles' Q, cause I've never seen it, and I also left out the 'crossgrade cost' question, cause that's really more of a bitch than a question. winking smiley If people think they should be left in let me know.

Got any more?
Anonymous User
Re: **The Great Internerd running summary**
May 23, 2006 10:21PM
GREAT work Jude. This is going to be excellent

May 23, 2006 11:06PM

Dear Jude Cotter,

It will take us weeks to dig you out of all those problems. Did you have them all on the same production? What version of Final Cut are you using? Which QuickTime?

You might want to look around for classes at the local college or technical school to get a better feel for the program before you jump in to a major production.

You might also benefit from some on-line tutorials or even the classes that come with Final Cut. Editing video can get very complicated very quickly. We'll do what we can, but you might consider delaying your deadline a little.

Koz

Anonymous User
May 23, 2006 11:22PM
Dont worry. I got 4 interns working on this. Answers to Jude soon

May 24, 2006 08:36AM
And PLEASE! Make an up front request that if you post a question - include which hardware and software version are you running on.
May 24, 2006 10:40AM
Yes...VEEEEERY IMPORTANT...there should be a reminder to all posting a question to "LIST YOUR SYSTEM CONFIGURATION" so we don't have to waste time asking for it.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Anonymous User
May 24, 2006 10:48AM
There already is but no one reads it. Its on the forum page under Cafe LA

May 24, 2006 12:17PM
>There already is but no one reads it.

Anyone wanna lay odds on that's what will happen with 95% of posters with the FAQ?
May 24, 2006 12:23PM
> >There already is but no one reads it.
>
> Anyone wanna lay odds on that's what will happen with 95% of
> posters with the FAQ?

Just write one word in reply to their post and move on:

RTFFAQ
Anonymous User
May 24, 2006 12:27PM
Well 5% is better than 0% and f we make it easy and accessible and on same page as this one we got a chance to succeed. I wish this forum did stickies but I'd have to upgrade and Phorum 5 is still not to my liking and I hate all the others beucase they are so bloated.

May 24, 2006 01:04PM
it would be cool if automaticly in your post, it would add FCP version___ on a mac runnign os___ with the fallowing________

not that people would use it, and than people would bitch that it was there and they had to delete it, man, i love ignorance

Amateur Teacher
May 24, 2006 01:21PM
> it would be cool if automaticly in your post, it would add FCP version___ on a
> mac runnign os___ with the following________
> not that people would use it, and than people would bitch that it was there
> and they had to delete it, man, i love ignorance

I don't agree, since there are some questions that have nothing to do with software version or hardware configuration -- for example, we do get questions about editing workflow, file management, and web exports. And having this information up on every post without reason just clutters the screen.

I think people learn pretty quickly that without telling us what they're using, they won't get an answer to what they need.
May 24, 2006 01:59PM
can the system spec reminders exist on the window i'm writing in right now?

right under the subject window?

fp

ps - we should add to the list the never ending: external firewire, which one is best?

at this point we all rely on a few set drive solutions which i guess we can agree g-raid is on top along with a short list of others.
Anonymous User
May 24, 2006 02:09PM
frankpledge wrote:

> can the system spec reminders exist on the window I'm writing
> in right now?
>
> right under the subject window?

I dont know. Would need a PHP guru to see if he/she could hack it. One could very easily put their system specs in their signature.

May 24, 2006 02:59PM
"...One could very easily put their system specs in their signature."

Isn't the signature used for selling books & plug-ins?? (j/k) winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 24, 2006 07:48PM
Dear Mr Koz

I am dissapointed in your reply. On my Avid it just has a button that I push and someone comes out to my house and fixes it for me. Are macs not capable of this? winking smiley

As for the FAQ, I reckon most people won't read it either, but it will be a useful rescource for us - question comes up, we have the FAQ open in another tab, copy and paste the answer and add any personalised bits required.

There will also be people who will find the FAQ via Google, and some people who will read it themselves on LAFCPUG. I don't think we can change the world, but we can make it easier on ourselves.

Having the FAQ will also help with those 'just press this button' replies, followed by four other people suggesting other, equally valid solutions. I'm guilty of this - jumping to the first answer that comes to my head and forgetting other possible reasons, making the poster leap through useless hoops and getting more and more frightened that their problem is unsolvable.

Anyway. That's what I reckon.
May 25, 2006 12:47AM
Are these going into the LAFCPUG FAQ? It would be great to update it with new stuff.

[www.lafcpug.org]
Anonymous User
May 25, 2006 03:18PM
I'm afraid that sort of died Jim. We are going to see if this does anything and hope that it does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics