FCP Mouse Problems

Posted by Adage12 
FCP Mouse Problems
November 05, 2008 08:41PM
Hello: I am having an issue using Final Cut Express. Lately the mouse has been acting up. Its jams up or if I am trying to drop a clip or move a clip it just jams up. If I am doing anything in any of the windows it starts to act up. I thought maybe it was acting up because it was connected to my keyboard, so I hooked it to iMac. But still, its doing the same thing. it works fine when I am on the net or doing anything else. It only happens when I am using FCE. Has anyone had this problem?
Re: FCP Mouse Problems
November 06, 2008 04:47PM
Yeah, back when I had less than 1GB RAM I'd get that and the SBBOD (check the Wiki, should be there). That's often a memory issue. And often the clips are still photo overscans, which can really tax older processors.

Or it could be a driver conflict. What kind of mouse? System, OS, FCE version, etc?

- Loren
November 06, 2008 06:39PM
Yep...sounds like FCE is using all your RAM.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 07, 2008 10:17PM
I have the Apple Mouse, I am using Leopard, Processor is 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo, Memory is 1 GB and FCE 3.5.
November 08, 2008 11:04AM
I would at the very least double the RAM to 2 GB. I would MAX it out as RAM is the cheapest best way to DRAMATICALLY increase any machines' performance.

November 08, 2008 09:56PM
Yeah I looked up some RAM prices. It is the cheapest way. I will soon be getting FCP Studio 2. Should I get more than 2 gigs or just another gig (total of 2) should be fine? Thanks for the advice.
November 09, 2008 09:39AM
Like I said...I would MAX OUT the RAM. You have to keep in mind that other apps run on RAM and to get "just enough to run the program" is ridiculous. An iMac holds 4 GB RAM so get 2 - 2 GB chips. I don't know which iMac you have, but it's VERY inexpensive ($97.88 for a 4 GB kit):

[www.a1acomputing.com]

MAKE SURE you tell whomever you are buying it from your EXACT machine specs so you get the right RAM for your specific machine. Don't just buy RAM...buy the right RAM.

November 09, 2008 05:50PM
Hey there: Thanks for the advice. I called Apple yesterday and found out that my iMac takes a max of 2 gigs. I have one and I will definitely get the other. So, my new question is would that be enough or just about enough if I wanna get FCP 2? Because I certainly can't afford a Mac Pro.
November 10, 2008 01:21PM

my iMac takes a max of 2 gigs

...then you have an older iMac. New ones take 4 GB.

I would not use FCS2 on an older iMac. I have no idea if it's even possible. Better check System Requirements before buying & make sure your machine is on there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics