Convert 29.97 to 24p before or after editing? ProRes 24p capture

Posted by choppertown zack 
Convert 29.97 to 24p before or after editing? ProRes 24p capture
October 23, 2008 03:29PM
Hey Gang,
The subject line says it all...I'm capturing a project shot on an HV20 at 24p, it captures via ProRes to 29.97 but my eventual output will either be back to tape for TV broadcast or for 24p DVD.

So... what do people recommend? Edit in a 29.97 timeline and then run trough Compressor at the end to drop the frames for 24p?

or

Convert all the captured footage to 24p with Compressor BEFORE editing and edit on a 24p timeline?

Zack Coffman
producer/director
Choppertown: the Sinners [www.choppertown.com]
Brittown: a Brit bike documentary [www.brittown.com]

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 15" 2.4Ghz
Matte Screen
4 GB Corsair Ram
OWC 1TB Raid
Dell 2405FPW
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.5.5
Re: Convert 29.97 to 24p before or after editing? ProRes 24p capture
October 23, 2008 03:36PM
TV broadcast...HD or SD? What tape format do you need to deliver? Me, I'd stick with 29.97, for Tv and DVD. Unless I was required to deliver a 23.98 master...and that only happens in HD.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 23, 2008 03:49PM
Hey Shane,
Thanks for the quick repsponse. Well if it gets picked up for TV, I'd want to deliver in HD. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with the 24p DVDs we've made, saves some room on the disc for more extras, etc. What are your thoughts?

Zack Coffman
producer/director

Matte Screen
4 GB Corsair Ram
OWC 1TB Raid
Dell 2405FPW
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.5.5
October 23, 2008 04:32PM
Wanting to deliver in HD. Well there are MANY HD formats. 720p59.94 DVCPRO HD, HDCAM and D5. Then there is 1080p24 23.98psf HDCAM and D5, and 1080i29.97 HDCAM and D5. So you need to know what format you will be outputting before you can figure out what format you need to be working with...much less shooting.

Too many questions to give a concise answer.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 23, 2008 05:16PM
Well I guess the only sure bet is that it will go into a 24p DVD. If that's the case, would you suggest converting to 24p before or after editing?

Regarding what kind of HD output, I guess it's impossible to know because when you do a show and then shop it to networks, they might all have different requirements. So I guess outputting a version in it's best native format would be best. It was all shot in 24p mode on an HV20.

Zack Coffman
producer/director

Matte Screen
4 GB Corsair Ram
OWC 1TB Raid
Dell 2405FPW
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.5.5
October 23, 2008 05:36PM
If you're going to remove the pulldown eventually, it's a lot easier to work with in Final Cut if you remove it up front, and cut in 24. Final Cut, for all its virtues, isn't very good at working with footage with 3:2 in it. There's no visual indication, for example, of where your pulldown cadence is at any given point on the playhead. You have to look for jitter frames and count. Also, there's no way in Final Cut to remove the pulldown from a timeline, so you'd be looking at a post process.

They say some pulldown removers can handle cadence breaks with aplomb; I believe Compressor's "reverse telecine" option is supposed to be able to remove even broken pulldown. But I haven't tested this myself, and I couldn't recommend that you bet your show on it without testing it to destruction first.

The pain in the rear, of course, is in the contemplation of your shooting ratio. I recently cut a show that had about a 20:1 shooting ratio, and I just bit the bullet on the pulldown removal. I just let Compressor process all of it over the weekend.

October 23, 2008 06:01PM
Thanks Jeff, seems logical. We're at 15:1 on this project so hopefully it won't take up too much space ... I guess I'll capture in ProRes @ 29.97, trim some fat off the master clips, run the whole thing through Compressor, import the 24p clips and start telling the story.

Have a great weekend.

Zack Coffman
producer/director

Matte Screen
4 GB Corsair Ram
OWC 1TB Raid
Dell 2405FPW
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.5.5
always convert before you edit with the hv20 or hv30. Save yourself the hassle.
October 23, 2008 10:36PM
Thought I have no seat time doing it, I believe Cinema Tools can handle the required pre-processing. Check it out.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Apply your default audio transition instantly
with Command-Option - T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 24, 2008 06:43AM
I've found the pulldown removal in Cinema Tools to be incredibly quirky, and it's definitely one of the pulldown removers that can't handle a broken cadence.

October 24, 2008 12:40PM
Remove pulldown on ingest using a AJA or BMD card to work in a 23.98 timeline so that you can strike you 24P DVDs. Create a 29.97 version by adding pulldown on output to tape.

Isn't how you guys do this?

It's a real pain to go the other way, I do know that. That is, it's not easy to create a 24P version if you edit your show in 29.97.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 24, 2008 01:27PM
I would love to know how to remove pulldown with my Kona LH on capture. I shot something live recently, feeding the SDI from my camera into my Kona board, but I couldn't figure out how to make it remove the 3:2 the camera automatically inserts when shooting 24p.

October 24, 2008 01:39PM
I have only been able to do this with DVCPRO HD footage shot with the Varicam. But that format sets very good flags on the footage. Canon HDV? Might not be possible...can't via firewire as HDV or ProRes. And how will you connect the camera to a capture card? HDMI for capture (using the Intensity) and firewire for deck control? OK, can you then remove that pulldown? I doubt it, because the footage isn't FLAGGED, it is recorded with a funky Canon setting. I believe you can only capture then remove pulldown.

But I barely know HDV...worked with it twice.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 24, 2008 01:57PM
In this case, the camera I was using was an XL H1, which has an HD-SDI output that bypasses the HDV parts. I was just capturing the uncompressed live feed from the camera.

I know that a Smoke will remove 3:2 from telecined footage automatically on capture. You have to set your AA frame, and I'm pretty sure it'll barf on a broken cadence, but there's also a great post-process button for removing 3:2 that I really missed.

(I've been on a big "Final Cut stinks for working with 3:2" kick lately.)

November 18, 2008 06:34PM
Hey Jeff,
Just a follow up to our discussion. Everything processed wonderfully in Compressor and now I have the 23.98 footage ready to edit. I added it to my 24p Prores 422 timeline and the audio is coming in unrendered and giving me the "beeping noise". Is that normal? Should I just do an apple-r mixdown?

Zack Coffman
producer/director

Matte Screen
4 GB Corsair Ram
OWC 1TB Raid
Dell 2405FPW
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.5.5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics