Trying to compress 2 Hrs to fit on a 4.7gig DVD

Posted by Luie 
Trying to compress 2 Hrs to fit on a 4.7gig DVD
May 26, 2006 05:09AM
Hello, Im sorry to ask such a goofy question but I don't have anywhere to go with this one.

So I have a compression question.
I have a 2 HR. QT file made on FCP = 25.6 Gigs of HD space.
MiniDV QT file. <export/use current settings/> SD quality.

This is old footage shot on Digital 8 and VHS I think. It is fuzzy and a bad picture to be honest. But I have no choice can't reshoot the content, they are testimonials and American Doctors along with Chinese Doctors from China on remedies/answers that they have for Cancer.
The content is just amazing to say the least but the quality is bad VHS. Not my choice not my doing.

Anyhow, my problem is.
When I put it into DVDSP , it turns my 25+gig QT movie into a 5.1 GIG file to burn onto a DVD.
The dvds i am using are 4.7gigs.
I understand i need to get my 5.1 gigs down to about 4.3.

What are some suggestions some of you may have please.
Thanks.

I have already compressed it in a few different ways and the quality is so bad to begin with that it degrades the picture even more and its not something I want to do.

I know there are Dual layer DVD burners I should look into but If someone can just tell me what I should do I would love it.
Thanks again

SL8UP
Re: Trying to compress 2 Hrs to fit on a 4.7gig DVD
May 26, 2006 05:12AM
Opps sorry just incase.

Dual 2 G5
3.5 gigs ram
FCP 5.0.1
Mac OSX 10.4.6
DVD SP
Thanks again

SL8UP
May 26, 2006 07:27AM

We talked about this further down the forum:

<[www.lafcpug.org];

Koz

May 26, 2006 11:35AM
You need to compress the file down to about 3.5 MB, because your sound will take up another 1 MB. DVDSP requires a little more, so you have to be upto 4.3 max -- I don't know why. If it's too close to 4.7 it won't burn. You should drag your QT movie into compressor and set the preferences for the compressor to 1VBR, etc -- I haven't done this for a while, if you have problems after this, I'll go through it step by step because I became an expert on compression when I had to deliver a job a few months ago. You have to try one and see how far down you get. You need to get to 3.5 MB. If you go down to 1.5 MB you've gone down too far -- don't try to make a DVD and see how good it is; it won't be. Choose 150 min quality. Let me know how you're doing. The bottom line is: it can be done.
May 26, 2006 11:37AM
Just to clarify: where filmman says "MB" he means "GB".

Scott
May 26, 2006 09:16PM
Instead of losing quality, can you make a 2 dvd set?
May 28, 2006 08:09PM
I wish I had the option to make a 2 DVD set. I asked the client to go that route but he said. The duplication cost is unacceptable.

I have done what you guys have suggested on the compressing and different variable rates.
And the quality loss is just to much.

So it looks like I will be trying for my first time to use a Dual Layer DVD. And Dual Layer DVD burner, I do not own one but I found a friend willing to let him borrow his G5 for this burn. He has never done a Dual layer DVD

Before I run into problems can anyone warn me what I might run into.
Are there Dual Layer DVD-R's out there.
It that what I want to burn on?

And when it comes to a duplication house. I understand that DLT is the right way or better way to deliver but if I don't have a choice. Is delivering on a dual layer DVD a problem.

Thanks a million n 2.

SL8UP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics