anamorphic capture query

Posted by xixote 
anamorphic capture query
May 28, 2006 12:54PM
G5/FCP version is 4.3, other details unknown

We are attempting to capture DVCAM shot in 4:3 aspect to 16:9

Would like to conform or 'force-justify' image to 16:9 without simply 'letterboxing' or clipping the top & bottom. If distorted, so much the better.
Re: anamorphic capture query
May 28, 2006 02:22PM
> We are attempting to capture DVCAM shot in 4:3 aspect to 16:9

Why are you trying to do that? If your footage is not anamorphic 16:9, there is absolutely no advantage to try to fake it.
May 28, 2006 09:28PM
well, derek, thanks for you opinion, but we are more in need of technical help than aesthetic advice right now.

for your information the DV being captured is part of a production shot mainly in Hi-Def, ergo everything has to be in that aspect at the end. ...so we have 90% "real" actual video acquired in 16:9 and need to "fake" about 10% of it that's not ---and hope to god the video framing police dont track us down!

the d.p. actually shot sequences (purposely, according to him) in 4:3 with the idea of getting certain effects when this was 'distorted' in 16:9. ..that probably didn't occur to you.
May 28, 2006 10:25PM
For the best looking conversion of SD 4:3 material you should take your footage to a dub house that has a Terenex box. Or, if that's not in your budget just use Compressor to do the conversion. It's in the Advaced Formats presets. Your other option is to caputre your footage into FCP via a Kona2 or Kona3 board.

Michael Alberts
Ambidextrous Productions
May 28, 2006 10:26PM
Wow. Virilent reply to help there. Not sure that's the way to encourage people to help you.

Investigate the motion tab. Have a look under 'Distort > aspect ratio'.
May 29, 2006 08:14AM
This is not a very nice reply.........I've lost interest in your topic.

sailho

May 29, 2006 11:51PM
"well, derek, thanks for you opinion, but we are more in need of technical help than aesthetic advice right now. "

-Well if you read Derek's reply its not about aesthetic but logic.
Derek accurately point out that there is no point in capturing something anamorphic that is not anamorphic. Perhaps you do not understand this.
Jude Cotter explains that you can distort it afterwards if need be.
This is correct as well.

"the d.p. actually shot sequences (purposely, according to him) in 4:3 with the idea of getting certain effects when this was 'distorted' in 16:9. ..that probably didn't occur to you."

-It probably did not occur to you that your DP is saying that so that he could get away with making a very clumpsy mistake. Why the hell would you purposfully shoot it 4:3 and then distort it? Simply ridiculous.
I would have shot it in 16:9 and then stretched it a bit more after If I needed. This would give me the flexibility to stretch is less if I wanted to or not at all if this groundbreaking visual effect did not work.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics