Can an erased XD Cam disc be restored?

Posted by Marco72 
Can an erased XD Cam disc be restored?
November 02, 2008 07:48AM
Hello,

I accidently erased an XD Cam disc when using the Sony XD Cam Transfer software in FCP. Is there anything I can do to restore the lost data on the disc?

Marco
Re: Can an erased XD Cam disc be restored?
November 02, 2008 01:12PM
There is an unformat option in the cameras, buried in a maintenance menu somewhere. Thankfully, I've never had to use it.

From what I understand, its success depends somewhat on what firmware the deck/camera that recorded it had, what firmware the current deck/camera being used to undelete/unformat has, as well as things like how full the disk was, and whether you've recorded anything new on it.

When we first took delivery of the SD XDCams, we had an incident in which a mislabeled disk was formatted and used again. When the error was detected, Sony was contacted and we FedEx'd the disk somewhere (Japan?) and large parts of the deleted interview were salvaged.

I suspect Andy Mees will know more, and he'll be along shortly. ;-)
November 03, 2008 06:42AM
Hehe ... not this time Mike. (Sorry Marco).
Thank goodness I've never needed such an option so far, and here's hoping it stays that way!

I certainly didn't know there was any kind of specific unformat option built in, but I'm gonna take a look for it now ... so far I can say that it definitely doesn't exist on the F70 (at least not the one I have here). I'll check an F75 and a F350 in due course and see what's to see.

FWIW, unformat option or otherwise, it stands to reason that XDCAM media should recoverable in just the same manner as any media is scavengable to some extent.
November 08, 2008 05:08AM
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Let me explain what happened: I was using the Sony XD Transfer application, and everytime a disc was transferred and ejected from the player, the image remained visible in the application. After 8 discs or so I thought: why not remove the images because I don't need them anymore.

So I selected all images and deleted them. However the disc in my player (not protected...) was erased in that action. I just thought the images would disappear. Yeah, not too smart I know. :-)

Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Marco
November 09, 2008 12:54AM
I didn't know that was possible.

Did you get your data back?
December 20, 2008 03:23PM
Me neither. eye popping smiley
Fortunately it appreared that the disc only contained 'extra' clips... phew... but lesson learned!

Marco
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics