Mac The Ripper - No Audio files

Posted by shelleyrae 
Mac The Ripper - No Audio files
June 03, 2006 11:24AM
Hi,
I'm experimenting with Mac The Ripper. I'm trying to get content from a home-made DVD onto my hardrive so that I can bring it into FC and edit and burn a DVD of the edited content. I got all excited because it looked like it was working but when I opened the folder there were no audio TS files. I was able to import the video files into FC so that was cool. I tried it again and double checked the settings but still no audio came over. There is indeed audio on the DVD.
Any clues as to what could be happening?
Thanks
Re: Mac The Ripper - No Audio files
June 03, 2006 11:26AM
Mac the Ripper doesn't produce media files editable by Final Cut Pro. And in your case, Mac the Ripper is unnecessary because its main functions are to override anti-duplication encoding and to duplicate a DVD. To extract DVD content for editing in Final Cut Pro, use MPEG Streamclip or DVDxDV.
June 03, 2006 11:48AM
Are those free downloads or do I need to purchase them?
June 03, 2006 11:50AM
MPEG Streamclip is free; DVDxDV is not.
June 03, 2006 12:10PM
I just downloaded MPEG Streamclip. When I open it, I get a screen that looks like some kind of player. I put the DVD in and nothing happens. There doesn't seem to be any online manual to tell you how to use the program. I've tried dragging the DVD icon to the center of the "player" like screen and it says "error, unsupported file type."
June 03, 2006 02:03PM
the rub with streamclip is that its not "idiot-proof." it takes a few minutes to get your head around it...

to open, choose file > open files. and navigate to the movie file (be it on disc or your drive or wherever).

set you in and out points - then, you can go to any one of its many export presets or just choose export quicktime and choose your own settings...
June 03, 2006 03:05PM
> to open, choose file > open files. and navigate to the movie file (be it on disc
> or your drive or wherever).
> set you in and out points - then, you can go to any one of its many export
> presets or just choose export quicktime and choose your own settings...

Got a step missing in there -- right after you open a VOB stream, you have to press APPLE-F -- Fix Timecode Breaks. Otherwise you may only get two minutes of the excerpt.

So here's the process:

1. Launch MPEG Streamclip.
2. Insert the DVD. Quit the DVD Player (which normally would launch automatically once you insert a video DVD).
3. Within MPEG Streamclip, press APPLE-O (Open). Choose "All Files" in the dialogue window.
4. Go to "[Username's] Computer". Navigate to the Video_TS folder of the DVD. Select the first big VOB file on the DVD (generally around 1GB) and open. If the application asks "Open All Files in Stream", click yes.
5. APPLE-F (Fix Timecode Breaks).
6. Put In and Out points in the timeline and press APPLE-E (Export to QuickTime Movie).
June 04, 2006 10:51AM
Great, thanks. I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm -- now I don't have to buy DVDxDV.
June 25, 2006 12:52AM
Question,

I'm following the protocol outlined for opening a DVD in mpeg streamclip......however when I get to the first big file (about 1 Gig) in the Video TS folder and select it- mpeg streamclip prompts me and tells me the first part of the file is not valid.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

BP
June 25, 2006 04:40AM
there are a number of protection schemes that "outrun" mac the ripper.
go to the developers site to the forums area. you will see a number of different threads about certain titles that it cant yet get around.

and missing audio is one of the biggies...

and if it cant rip it right, dvdxdv or streamclip cant fix it.
June 25, 2006 09:36AM
> I'm following the protocol outlined for opening a DVD in mpeg
> streamclip......however when I get to the first big file (about 1 Gig) in the
> Video TS folder and select it- mpeg streamclip prompts me and tells me the
> first part of the file is not valid.

Hmm, I could be wrong here, Wayne, but this posting didn't even mention using Mac the Ripper. It's possible that he hasn't run it on the DVD in question yet, and a protected DVD will behave as described here in MPEG Streamclip.
June 25, 2006 11:10AM
good point derek ; )

i just took it as understood - since it IS the title of the thread?
June 25, 2006 11:43AM
Got it......that was my fault entirely, I read one of the threads that said "mac the ripper not needed" and took it as gospel......

thanks for the help

BP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics