Setting Storyboard Frames

Posted by J.Corbett 
Setting Storyboard Frames
February 19, 2009 04:50PM
i know we had a thread about this some where but i can not find it.

what is the keyboard combo that allows you to scrub thru storyboard footage clips and set its thumb?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Setting Storyboard Frames
February 19, 2009 05:20PM
Control-Shift gives you scrub tool. Release the mouse before you release the modifier keys and the poster frame will be reset to the frame you're on.
February 19, 2009 10:51PM
there is also a manual included with the app, Jeff
February 20, 2009 12:59AM
February 20, 2009 07:31AM
If you put storyboard in the search of the manual you don't get the answer that tom gave.
If you put storyboard frame in you don't get the answer.
If you get scrubbing storyboard you don't get the answer.

Poster Frame does get the answer from the manual. However, who would think of that term in that situation. Only a veteran would think of that. The other folks would call it a storyboard frame or something with the word storyboard in the term.

Thats what i keep saying about manuals. They are not key worded well enough to be useful to everyone. If i look up storyboard frame it should give me poster frame because a poster frame is used in a storyboard.

I have the manuals they don't always help.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 20, 2009 07:58AM
It's called a poster frame regardless of whether you are storyboarding or not. Set Poster Frame is in the Mark menu. Learning the right terminology is fundamental to working with an application. That's one of the purposes of a basic training class.
February 20, 2009 10:38AM
I have the manuals they don't always help.

Color me unsurprised.
February 20, 2009 11:27AM
Poster Frame is a term that has been used since ever since I can remember for desktop video...

Storyboards are like comic strips of static shots describing the film/vision in a pictorial form along with the script for each shot/scene.

They ARE NOT poster frames in video.

Storyboards either cut into a video for timing as Static frames or sometimes with simple animated moves and/or fx are called Animatics.

Seriously JC, I think it is about time you read some books on film, TV and computer terminology. Rather than asking for the world to revolve around your language and complaining to us that it doesn't.

If you are getting these terms from someone else then shoot them and hide the body or maim them so they cannot disseminate any more rubbish!

(Of course I was joking about the murder thing... don't do it, but if you do, I cannot be held responsible! Oh and make sure you do it in a State where they don't have the death penalty so you can edit in the pen winking smiley )

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 20, 2009 11:50AM

They are not key worded well enough to be useful to everyone.

No, they're really not. Neither is the Merck Manual. Both are "worded" for people who have some knowledge of the subject matter.

Final Cut's manuals are surprisingly readable, for technical manuals on software. They are not meant to be used solely as reference material for people who already know all the ins-and-outs. They're meant to be read.

For instance, the section in the manual that talks about poster frames says this:

The poster frame is the picture that represents a clip in icon view in the Browser. When
you look at clips in the Browser in large icon view or when you show the Thumbnail
column in list view, the icon or thumbnail picture you see reflects either the In point for
that clip (or the first frame of the clip if no In point has been set), or the poster frame
you set for the clip in the Browser.

That's not buried in some obscure fine-print section accessible only via the appendix. It's in the section called, in big type, "Learning About the Final Cut Pro Interface." Which, to the astonishment of absolutely no one, is the best place to go to learn about the Final Cut Pro interface. There is simply no excuse for any Final Cut editor not to have read at least that section of the manual, every page, every word.

"They don't always help," Corbett, because you have not freakin' read them.

February 20, 2009 12:31PM
I took an 8day FC5 class when i first started payed 1500. for it in Vegas. Not one time in that class was the word poster frame mentioned. They always referred to it as a storyboard.

I have read the manual 2 times plus used it as a reference as i needed whenever possible. Somethings are better learned in the field or when you have a mentor in say a network.

Everything i know came from that apparently insufficient class i took, the manual, and what i have learned here. I don't know any other editors at my level in all of the South East. (not to say that there aren't any) Thats why i always was looking for Meets here but they hardly have them or hardly have serious people at them.

CNN,TBS,TNT,FOX SPORTs will not allow me to sit and just listen and watch what they do. I don't even want to ask them questions i just want to watch and listen. I don't know the terminology because I don't have anything but the forum to discuss these terms.

I just started getting into color and learned that the pixels in the waveform is called the trace. I have been CC'ing in fcp for at least a year and a half and didn't know until now (yesterday).

I think that has always been the problem i have here in the forum. Its at times hard for me to ask a question because i don't know all of the terms or use a term thats close but not quite exact. I know you guys get frustrated with that but every single rant you have had about my post has for the most part helped.

If i gotta get rammed for something posted incorrect at least i will know what the term is next time. Thats what i thought a forum was for. I thought a forum was the substitute for a lack of mentor who could show you how face to face.

As an example: In this post the correction that Ben just made of my non-pro terminology helped big time. (not to say that any other response was less valuable)

I am not trying to write a blast here but understand that its hard to get use to all of the terminology when there is no one who you can use the terms with verbally. Anything on this forum i have learned has not been loss and i don't often make the mistake in a separate post after.

Thanks for getting me this far LAFCPUG no other forum has helped me as much.

""""
February 20, 2009 12:35PM
You are welcome to help but please READ the manual...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics