CRAZY-HELLA-OT: apple mail and itunes

Posted by wayne granzin 
CRAZY-HELLA-OT: apple mail and itunes
February 25, 2009 08:11AM
is it me or does apples "mail" look way too much like iTunes? i keep checking my "party shuffle" for new emails...
Re: CRAZY-HELLA-OT: apple mail and itunes
February 25, 2009 08:36AM
apple mail needs some improvements for sure. It doesn't have a serious mail look and its quite limited on integration. But i also think that ical is really lame.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 25, 2009 08:41AM
try thunderbird

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 25, 2009 09:11AM
For a variety of reasons, I've stopped using Mail entirely. At work, I use gmail and our company's Exchange mail, both through Safari. At home, I've switched over to Mailplane.

I like Mail, I do. I just don't like having to think about email any more. I've got enough complications in my life; email shouldn't be one of them.

(Like yesterday, when my boss sent me an attachment in Microsoft Word format. Get up, leave my room, go to a PC, log in, open Outlook, find the email, open the attachment, print it out so I can read it without hogging the shared computer, take it back to my room, read it, discover the whole thing could have been communicated just fine in the body of the email message, rather than as an attachment with all the user-friendliness off a chastity belt. Oy.)

February 25, 2009 09:20AM
i fought converting to "mail" from entourage but finally did for ONE REASON (ok, TWO, but read on) entourage stores all messages in a single database and ive heard situations where that database file got corrupted and you lose everything. "mail" saves each message independently. that just sounds kinda smart to me... though in 4 years and about 20 back-ups of entourage, ive never seen a problem personally...

and running email on a web-based app. thats just TOO slow for day-to-day use. THOUGH i do LOVE the idea of having my WHOLE email history - accessible wherever i am...

oh, well. like most else. its all a series of compromises. and damnit if ludacris just never gets back to a brother!!!
February 25, 2009 09:25AM
Yeah, it's definitely a trade-off. Being disconnected from the Internet means I don't have access to my email history. And on the rare-but-not-unheard-of occasions when Gmail is inaccessible, I'm locked out.

On the other hand, when I do have access to the Internet (which with my phone, is almost always), and Gmail is working (which again, is almost always) then it's all there, wherever I am. So it's got its plusses.

February 25, 2009 10:43AM
Here's something extra hot i just found. Its called Direct Mail.

Dig this you jive turkeys. It not only sends the mail it tells you when it open on the receiving end. It also denote number of reads and forwards. Even time of read.

I do a lot of client, contractor, and employee email this is hot to go.

""""
February 25, 2009 11:14AM
tells you when it open on the receiving end

that is straight up CREEPY! i dont want to know that and i damn sure dont want anyone else knowing it. anybody who needs that degree of CYA protocol is NOT somebody i want to work for, with or around. - even though many pc outlook folks do it. id just kinda like to not know...

i was stationed at a place for about 6 months last year that had me on pc outlook. and my girlfriend could tell when i read her messages (and didnt respond in a timely manner) that is one PHOQUED UP FEATURE!

hi, im wayne. and i'll be taking a poop now. please note that in your outlook calendar - PSSSSHHHT! WHATEVER!

but i guess they said teh same thing about caller ID - GOD I'M OLD!
February 25, 2009 11:26AM
Those are features that most spam software (Constant Contact, Campaign Monitor and so on) has offered for years and years and years.

Everybody who knows about it either uses it themselves to make money, or hates it with a fiery passion.

February 25, 2009 11:38AM
February 25, 2009 12:38PM
Its a separate program from mail. I deal with a lot of clients that use non-notification as means of slow pay. I do collection for my company too.

Certain clients will say you should have sent an email in critical stages. I have 2 sales people who will claim i didn't get it so ....... or the contractor who is slow or unreliable.

it does not detect the forwards in a "heres the email addy" way it just detects the number of instances. ( i think it expires also)

""""
February 25, 2009 06:03PM
Hey Jeff, you can configure Gmail to POP so you can have a local copy of your mail, but still use the good features of Gmail, like the google calendar integration, which can then be auto added to your website. I haven't set one up yet myself but I am about to for a friend of mine and it looks pretty simple.

Here's how for your iphone, or home mail : [www.macworld.com]

February 25, 2009 06:35PM
I used to use Gmail over IMAP for much the same reason. Before IMAP was available, I used Gmail via POP. The inconveniences of both ultimately outweighed the benefits for me. But different people have different tolerances for computer stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics