Final Cut Pro 5.0.4 crashes when updating old file

Posted by akiessling 
Final Cut Pro 5.0.4 crashes when updating old file
June 04, 2006 02:28PM
I have a project that I made before upgrading to 5. It has a lot of Motion Tab effects, but the sequence is only about 20 minutes long. When I attempt to open it in 5 - Final Cut asks me if I want to update the file format from the earlier version. I say 'yes,' and it then asks me how I want to update the render files 'Motion Tab Quality': 'Best', 'Normal' or 'Fastest (Linear)'. It also asks me if I want to discard the old render files. No matter what combination I select, Final Cut crashes right as it begins to display the timeline - the sequence will show up with all my clips in it - and then the program crashes.

I am able to open every other old project that I have - including very early drafts of this project. I have tried deleting all my old render files, and trashing Final Cut Preferences as well as repairing permissions in Safe Boot. I have also tried opening it without the hard drive containing the media attached. And I have tried opening older versions of the file from the Auto Save Vault. Nothing seems to work.

I am running a first generation Dual 2 GHz G5 with OS X 10.4.6 - I have 1 GB RAM and 30 GB available on my external (capture/scratch) drive and 32 GB available on my Hard Drive.
Help! Thank you!
Allison
Re: Final Cut Pro 5.0.4 crashes when updating old file
June 04, 2006 04:42PM
Sounds like a damaged project file! If every one works except this one, then you software is OK!

I don't suppose you have access to the FCP version that originally edited this project? If you do, try to open it on the older version and see what happens.

One more thing! 30 GB left on a Hard drive is getting pretty smallish. FCP doesn't like smallish spaces. Check to see that the 30 GB is actually larger than 10% of that total drive space.
June 04, 2006 11:02PM
Thank you so much for your help!

I don't have the old version of Final Cut - I somehow deleted it when I upgraded - but the project had opened just fine shortly before I upgraded - so I don't think it is the file.

I will try cleaning off my hard drives and see if that helps - I think it has something to do with the volume of motion effects in this project...

Thank you!
Allison
June 05, 2006 08:53AM
It could also be damaged source files. Try to make all of your media offline and then open the project.

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics