Seeking HDV Worlkflow advise

Posted by Wayne Wong 
Seeking HDV Worlkflow advise
June 04, 2006 10:38PM
Hi all,

I have footage shot on the JVC GY-HD100 on 720/24p.

Lemme know what you think of this workflow:

1) Go to a post house with the HDV footage and have them transfered to a MiniDV at 24p. (ie. now it is in SD format but still retains frame-by-frame accuracy).

2) Work on the edit on FCP in a 24p timeline.

3) Return to post house for an online edit with the EDL based on the 24p edit.

I do not have any fancy Kona cards or Lumiere plug-ins. Just a truusty G5 and an external firewire hard-drive.

Has anyone tried this workflow? I'm not sure if its a possible solution. Pls advise.

-wayne-
Re: Seeking HDV Worlkflow advise
June 05, 2006 02:35AM
> Go to a post house with the HDV footage and have them transfered to a MiniDV at 24p. (ie. now it is in SD format but still retains frame-by-frame accuracy).

There is no way to do this as mini dv runs at 29.97.
June 05, 2006 02:38AM
BTW if you are going to spend the money transferring at a post house, you'd be better off just having them capture the HDV to the DVCPRO HD codec straight onto a drive for you, then there will be no need for an online as you can finish in that codec.
June 05, 2006 05:29AM
I agree with Frank

As far as I am aware the only Apple CODECs that support 720p@24 are DVCproHD, Apple Intermediate & Uncompressed 8-Bit & 10-Bit

1) Digitise the HDV 720p@24 as DVCproHD CODEC (Get a post house with Kona or Blackmagic card to do this) to an external firewire 800 HDD

2) Offline edit in DVCproHD on your system

3) Take DVCproHD offlline back to post house for grade, dub, finishing and output.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 05, 2006 12:58PM
Just adding my .02, this is definitely a preferred workflow for HDV.

There's another, but not through JVC, as ar as know. Sony Z1U and I think Canon H1 allow live downconvert to SD -- the Sony camera offers more options-- right to DVCAM, live, over FireWire. I have seat time testing the Z1U so it impressed me. This to my thinking is a great way to finish in SD and future proof in HD.

I attended a local SMPTE meet, however, in which a speaker told of viewing HDV on a 70" screen and said it looked terrible. I can't recall if that was native HDV or transferred to DVCPro. Native I could understand.

In any event, get it out of HDV!!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
June 05, 2006 02:06PM
Is this footage already shot in HDV or were you planning on doing a shoot in HDV 24p with the JVC?

Sometimes the obvious is hidden in plain view.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics