HD Log & Capture Questions

Posted by Haskin 
HD Log & Capture Questions
March 02, 2009 06:49PM
Hello. Newcomer here. Hope my questions aren't too lame, but I'm new to editing in HD. I have some questions regarding the initial logging & capturing of mini DV HD footage that was recorded on a Canon XHA1. I'm using a camera, the Canon HV 20, to capture because I don't have a deck. I have a MacPro, OS 10.5.6 with FCP 6.0.5, 4GB memory, plus an Iomega 500GB external hard drive. My question regards capturing in native HD. I read the FAQ that recommends editing in native HD but have also heard that the files will be too big, that I should edit in SD then convert back to HD for export before burning a DVD. However the FAQ says the files are smaller in native HD plus there will be quality loss from HD/SD back to HD, so I'm a little confused. I need to edit a 3-5 minute trailer which will then become a 20-30 minute piece, then eventually a 90 minute documentary. Of course, I want it to look as good as it can. Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated or if someone could point me towards a paper that will explain it all.

Also, what is the best setting for capturing? Simply HDV or the Apple ProRes 422?

Thanks in advance,

Haskin
Re: HD Log & Capture Questions
March 02, 2009 07:13PM
More about the computer: MacPro 3,1 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 2.8Ghz with dual hard drives 300GB in Bay 1 & 500GB in Bay 2. Firewire up to 800 mb/sec.
March 03, 2009 03:30PM
I have not done very much hd but....

Hd eats gigs up. LARGE FILES

Format Data rate (Mbps) GB per hour of video
Compressed formats
720 x 480 DV 4:1:1 25 11
720 x 480 DV50 4:2:2 50 22
HD-DVCPRO 100 44

Uncompressed 10-bit formats
720 x 486 4:2:0 210 92
1280 x 720/24p 4:2:0 332 146
1280 x 720/60p 4:2:0 818 364
1920 x 1080/24p 4:2:0 746 328
1920 x 1080/60i 4:2:0 932 410

Capture your native hd codec for quality. Meaning the exact form you filmed in and don't worry about saving gigs hard drives are cheap.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
March 04, 2009 07:15AM
Sounds like the original post is referring to HDV (no such animal btw as MiniDV HD). HDV is a totally different flavor of HD running at very low data rates and with storage requirements bascially the same as MiniDV. FW400 is sufficient for this. Head over to digitalheaven.co.uk for the free VideoSpace dashboard widget. Puts it all into perspective as far as storage is concerned.

All the other HD formats (like XDCam, DVCProHD, HDCam to name a few) use varying methods of compression and recording. The only thing they have in common is that HD means a 16:9 picture aspect, typically 1920x1080 pixels (sometimes referred to as full HD), and 1280x720 pixels (in a lot of situations the HD delivery format). That only refers to output though. Recording is done at various methods of anamorphic scaling and with compression ranging from mpeg group of pictures (GOP) to uncompressed full frames. Resolution, color depth, image quality, data rates and storage requirements are vastly different for each type of HD currently in use. The first question for the editor is what are they shooting on and what is the delivery format? The rest basically falls into place from there.

HDV is at the very lowest end of HD, if you can even really call it HD. It's very heavily compressed and does not record full frames but rather GOP's. That makes it not at all good for anything fast action (not enough resolution) or for anything requiring FX work or compositing (not enough color/luminance depth).

So getting back to the original question on whether or not to edit natively, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Basically there are two options. 1) if it's a pretty straightforward edit, then stay in HDV to the end. Drop the final sequence into something else (ProRes is a good choice) and render that out before going to DVD or other delivery formats. 2) if it's a more complex edit involving fx and compositing, then it's going to be better to start with ProRes and stay with it through post. Converting to ProRes will not improve quality, but it will be easier and more consistent to work with, especially during renders. FW 800 is sufficient for this. ProRes will of course result in larger storage needs. It's your call at the end of the day. And of course, test and organize your workflow before diving in.

hth,
Clay
March 05, 2009 08:45PM

Capture your native hd codec for quality. Meaning the exact form you filmed in and don't worry about saving gigs hard drives are cheap.

I disagree completely with that advice. There are tangible issues that Editors who are experienced with HDV (which is your "native hd codec" I am assuming - Clay is correct..."MiniDV" is not a codec...that's a tape format) can tell you both good and bad stories about working in Long GOP format...mostly bad. As mentioned, a straightforward edit would be OK to go with HDV, but if you have any serious compositing / graphics / color treatment to be implemented, the HDV codec doesn't hold up as well as ProRes so I suggest capturing in ProRes (around 1.03 GB per minute of captured 1080i footage) and keep your entire project in ProRes all the way through. HDV gives you much smaller file sizes (190 MB per minute of 1080i footage) but is much more processor-intensive. FCP and the main graphics compositing apps like ProRes much better (in my experience) grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 07, 2009 11:14PM
I agree with Joey - I feel a lot a safer with prores - HOWEVER - a major drag that I have not found a way around is the fact that you don't get a proper log and capture window when using the HDV-to-ProRes capture preset -- it seems like you can only capture your footage as one ginormous block (a la "capture now"winking smiley. Am I missing something? Enlighten me, Joey!
March 08, 2009 09:13AM
I'm gonna differ with Joey a little here. Our whole HDV workflow is built around log-and-capturing HDV from tape over Firewire, then assembling the HDV footage in a ProRes 422 1920x1080 timeline.

There are a couple notable advantages. First, as mentioned above, HDV capture files are a lot smaller. That matters if you're short on storage, but otherwise not so much. But the far bigger factor is that capturing HDV lets you log-and-capture as normal, and ? this is the most important part ? batch re-capture later if you need to get your media files back off tape. With this workflow, you have the option of archiving only your timeline and any graphics or other non-tape-based media files, while keeping your footage on tape. Yes, there's always the possibility that a tape sitting on the shelf can degrade over time, making some of your footage unrecoverable, but hard drives fail too, and far more frequently, so I think this method is safer overall.

Now, as for this "quality" thing people are talking about. As Clay mentioned, HDV is already massively stomped on by the camera; it's a very heavily compressed format. But that doesn't mean it inherently sucks. HDV footage can look quite good, especially if your workflow involves shooting HDV for eventual delivery in SD. One you down-rez to SD, HDV can end up looking amazing.

The trick, though, is to make sure you never make your HDV source material look any worse than it does straight off the camera. That's one of two reasons why it's bad to edit native HDV: native HDV editing involves applying a second compression pass to your footage, which degrades it in ways you don't have to be a broadcast engineer to spot.

The other reason editing native HDV is not a great idea is workflow; the computer has to do a lot of math even to play back HDV in real time, much less to edit it, so you end up waiting a lot.

Fortunately both these problems can be solved by editing your native HDV media files into a ProRes 422 1920x1080 timeline. Assuming your system has the storage bandwidth to play back two streams of ProRes 422 HD in real time, you'll be able to drop your HDV media into a ProRes timeline and cut it in real time at what Apple calls "preview quality." That means your system will automatically show you a lower-resolution version of your footage while you're editing. (Not that much lower, either; I think it's quarter-res, so it's effectively 960x540 or something like that. Still more pixels than SD.) As soon as you render, Final Cut will decode the HDV media, scale it up to 1920x1080 from HDV's native 1440x1080 non-square-pixel format, then apply any effects or color-corrections or whatever you might have put on the shots, and finally write the media to your render cache in ProRes format. Since ProRes is a "transparent" codec ? it's generally agreed to be visually indistinguishable from uncompressed 10-bit ? you can do all that without degrading your footage at all. And the best part? Your system can do all that faster than it can do the same thing to HDV media, because ProRes is so much less computationally intensive.

If this sounds like a complicated workflow, it's really not. The use of intermediate formats for editing is as old as the hills. Think about it: If you shoot on film, you're not going to edit your show with a razor blade and scotch tape. You're going to transfer your film to video and edit that, and only when you're done are you going to apply those edits you made offline to the film negative. In fact, these days you might not even do that; you might well scan the parts of your negative you used in your final cut and make a digital intermediate before printing the finished show out to film again, or making an HDCAM master, or delivering it digitally, or whatever. Intermediate-format workflows are pretty standard. It's just that many editors have never encountered them before, because the DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO and DVCPRO HD formats ? which, trivia time, are all basically the same ? were designed to let editors skip the intermediate. Other formats like HDV, XDCAM and AVCHD, and even Red, all depend on an intermediate-format workflow.

Hell, even shooting HDCAM SR means you'll use an intermediate workflow. The only way to get footage onto or off of an SR tape is through SDI, which means you're going to have to create some intermediate format when you edit it. These days, that intermediate format is usually uncompressed, ProRes or DNxHD, but from a workflow perspective, it's still an intermediate format. The only difference, workflow-wise, is that if your source media is SR, you convert to your intermediate format in real time when you digitize. With HDV, you essentially copy your source media off the tape bit-for-bit when you capture it, then convert to your intermediate format later, when you render your Final Cut timeline. Same principle, slightly different execution.

(Which I guess is my characteristically long-winded way of saying "This is how all the cool kids do it, so you should totally give in to the peer pressure."winking smiley

March 08, 2009 02:32PM
Jeff, That was an EXCELLENT explanation. Changes my perspective on the little bit of hd footage i do get. Especially knowing that avchd needs an intermediate also.

Thanks for answering the poster and also answering 2 questions i had not yet asked.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
March 09, 2009 12:04AM
HDV is a crappy codec, can we all just agree on that?

I'm tired of being disappointed by it. Half the frame will be perfectly exposed and crisp, then where it fades into what should be deep and stately shadows - you get NOISE. It's horrible.

My question for this learned group:

I want the best possible 1280x720p (24fps). What are the best results you've seen in terms of Camera/codec?

(Sorry but the JVC gy-hd200 has been a major bummer for me this weekend - love to know what's making people happy at this resolution)
March 09, 2009 12:28AM
Thanks so much for all the info. Before I start capturing, however, I'm wondering can anyone answer drtuzi's question about ProRes not allowing me to capture individual clips. I've got over 20 hours of footage with more to come and definitely do not want to capture all of that. Some hour tapes only have 3 minutes that I want captured.

Also, what is the best way to get clips off of a DVD? This is a DVD that someone put some old Beta cam footage onto for me, but I only want certain small clips from it, not the entire DVD.

Thanks again.

Haskin
March 09, 2009 04:02AM
Jeff, is there any difference when it comes to CPU usage when you do the offline edits in an HDV timeline with render set to ProRes and editing in a ProRes timeline?

>Also, what is the best way to get clips off of a DVD?

Mpeg Streamclip.

[www.squared5.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
March 09, 2009 05:43AM
Yeah, there is. Just scrubbing an HDV timeline is a computationally intensive task, because the system has to decode whole GOPs to show individual frames.

The only advantage to editing HDV with ProRes rendering, in my experience, is if you're going out to an HD tape format over SDI. If both of those things are true, you can leave your timeline HDV, render only your dissolves and effects and stuff, then edit to tape in real time, letting your Kona board handle the 1440x1080-to-1920x1080 upres for you in real time.

But if you're adding any graphics at all, like chyrons, you might be unhappy with HDV's native 1440x1080 raster, which means you need to set your timeline to 1920x1080 anyway, and once you do that, you might as well just switch over to ProRes.

Our HDV-originated projects here mix camera footage with archival footage and graphics, and the archival footage and graphics are all ProRes 422 anyway. So it's a lot better for us just to assemble shows in a ProRes timeline, letting the system render all the camera footage via auto-render during a break or something.

I did a ton of workflow experiments using the "keep it HDV 1440x1080, but tell Final Cut to use ProRes for rendering" thing last spring, and for the kind of projects we do here, I just found it to be too clever by half. Assembling HDV into ProRes and letting FCP render works better in our situation.

March 09, 2009 06:15AM
Interesting. My workflow for XDCAM EX was to do offline cuts native so most of the footage do not need to render. During CC, I'll swap the sequence codec to ProRes HQ (as almost everything needs a render anyway) and render everything out ProRes HQ. That worked out pretty alright.

I was thinking that having a long GOP codec on a ProRes timeline will still require the processor to decode the source long GOP footage on the fly, and render it to the sequence codec at quarter resolution (a compromise quarter resolution was made for ProRes if i recall). Hence editing native would be simpler since FCP doesn't have to do anything else after the decoding. But I haven't ran it against the activity monitor, so it could be moot.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 09, 2009 07:17PM
my recent HDV experience has been a long form doc.
shot HDV, to be finished as 1920 x 1080.
(as an added complication, i captured as DV for the off-line, but lets not dwell on that)

we also had a lot of archival that was coming from DV and believe it or not VCDs, which we converted to Standard Def ProRes.

while i was dealing with all this, i read an earlier post where jeff sugested cutting HDV in a 1920x1080 pro-res timeline,
and the lights went on!

my final conclusion is the same as jeff's,
the simplest way to do this is to start cutting in a 1920 x 1080 Pro Res sequence at the outset.

it saves a lot of worrying and double checking that motion effects have been translated correctly.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics