"File Error: Unknown file" when attempting to capture

Posted by Hypersquared 
"File Error: Unknown file" when attempting to capture
June 06, 2006 12:33PM
All attempts to capture into FCP 5.0.4 are giving me the error message, "File error: Unknown file."

My normal routine is to capture from an HDV/Mini DV camera via Firewire, using a batch list created in CinemaTools. I have succesfully done this for two weeks and yet, this morning, I am getting this message.

I have tried the following diagnostics:

? Capturing one clip at a time.

? Working with an earlier batch list and tape which had successfully captured before.

? Creating a new project.

? Using "Capture Now."

? Rebooting the entire system as well as the camera.

? Changing my scratch disk from an external Firewire to the system hard drive.

None of these have made any change. In every case I get the "File error: Unknown file" message. Any help will be appreciated.
Anonymous User
Re: "File Error: Unknown file" when attempting to capture
June 06, 2006 03:56PM
That sometimes happens when you dont have the correct permissions as in you are not logged in as admin or your user privileges are messed up. Or you have a / in the clip name

June 07, 2006 07:12PM
My bet is the forward slash in the clip name. FCP doesn't like them...use a comma instead.

FE Meek
June 07, 2006 08:25PM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure commas are considered bad file-naming characters, as well. The standard file names stick to underscores, dashes and fullstops/periods. Apostrophes are acceptable.
June 08, 2006 11:23AM
While Derek is technically correct, I have found commas to be innocent in FCP's clip naming file errors.

FE Meek
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics