Sync issues with USB or Optical Audio?

Posted by JoeE 
Sync issues with USB or Optical Audio?
June 06, 2006 07:39PM
I'm in the process of setting up a system to cut a studio comedy feature. I'm planning to use the Mackie Control Universal, so I will have a USB Midi converter. I'm trying to figure out the best way to monitor the audio with my Mackie HR824 speakers. Of course I could just go out the headphone jack, but if I could get better quality than that it would be useful. The first possibility is I can buy a USB midi converter for the MCU that has audio outputs as well as volume control and run them to the speakers. Or I could go out the optical audio out port into a d/a converter with a volume control. The big question is: Will I possibly encounter sync issues by routing the volume thru usb or optical?
tc
Re: Sync issues with USB or Optical Audio?
June 07, 2006 06:35AM
JoeE wrote:

> The big question is: Will I possibly encounter sync
> issues by routing the volume thru usb or optical?

If you are running picture out the firewire port to a broadcast monitor, then yes. Sync will be an issue. Audio must follow video to maintain sync for certain.

If you are not running an external video monitor, and will view picture only on the Mac's monitor, then yes, you could listen to the audio via the Mac's headphone output. The quality of that audio out is pretty good, as long as your gain structure is set up right.
Most folks here would suggest strongly that you get a broadcast monitor, though.

The only USB audio interface I have a lot of experience with is the Mbox, and it exhibits a lot of latency. My guess is they all do, therefore you may experience sync issues, particularly if you are doing V.O. recording and are trying to monitor source through the box. YMMV.

From the look of it (on the Mackie website) and what little I had time to read, it appears that the MCU does NOT pass audio and has no audio monitoring facilities, therefore IMHO your best bet is to connect your powered speakers to the deck or video card you are using for monitoring picture. As above, if that's only the Mac monitor, then connect your speakers to the Mac audio out jack.

Hope it works out.

tc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics