S16 Grain

Posted by michaelpaulucci 
S16 Grain
March 23, 2009 12:45PM
Hello,

I just got my film back from the lab, I shot Kodak 7229 500T, and got an Apple Pro Res HQ 1920X1080 23.98 FPS file back. I know this is a grainy stock, and I know S16 as opposed to 35mm and Video is grainy, but the image looks very noisy on my computer. I burned a SD copy and played it on a television, and it still looked a little grainy. Any reason for this? Any suggestions how to to reduce the grain in post?

Thanks,

Mike
Re: S16 Grain
March 23, 2009 02:10PM
The best I've used is DeNoise from the Furnace plugins from The Foundry.

[www.thefoundry.co.uk]

Shamefully they don't offer it as a separate plug-in! Booooo

BUT!

They actually offer a rental option!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 23, 2009 02:14PM
Are they still offering their, like, 99%-off sale or whatever it was?

Oh, wait. That might've only been for Discreet systems anyway.

Unfortunately, the delete key on my keyboard is mysteriously broken.

March 23, 2009 02:28PM
Try backspace instead...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 23, 2009 02:29PM
There are also many post houses offering 16mm degraining services- because let's face it grain is a major issue.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
March 23, 2009 02:55PM
Is there a way for me to post a still image on here? I would like to get the problem corrected, but a I know how much money a post house can want for this...is there anything in Color that would fix the problem?

Thanks,

Mike
March 23, 2009 02:58PM
Read this

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 23, 2009 02:59PM
And try to keep the pict no wider than 600 px.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 23, 2009 03:40PM
Have you screened a workprint on 16mm? I know that may be a pain but maybe the lab would run a test strip for you. See if your original footage is as grainy as the ProRes file.

JK

March 23, 2009 06:06PM
[s617.photobucket.com]

there are some screenshots...the exterior is the worst. these really pulse when you watch them as a quicktime. the film stock is very flat, and it seems maybe like the telecine boosted the saturation, which would be wrong. could that explain the very prominent grain structure? i am really hoping to find something to bring it down.

thanks again,

mike..

make sure you look at the pics 100%
March 23, 2009 07:15PM
That's kinda the limitations of the format- high speed film, and small film gauge. Looks like a bit of underexposure too which also exaggerates grain. You can try one of the plugins but to be honest- even a crack post house would have a tough time- that is massive grain.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
March 23, 2009 07:24PM
Massive Grain for both or just the our door one? that outside shot is by far the worst...
March 23, 2009 09:14PM
By a startling coincidence, Massive Grain is the name of my new vegan-themed trance-hop band.

March 23, 2009 09:30PM
I love Massive Grain's first single. It's the one with the opening synth growl and drum loop from Tom Sawyer with Jeff "beans'n'rice" Harrell droning SOYYYYY SOYYYYY through autotune.
It's next in my iTunes party playlist right now. Awesome.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 23, 2009 11:03PM
i guess if i moderated fcp forums id think that was pretty funny
March 23, 2009 11:36PM
Yeah not too helpful up there in the peanut gallery. smiling smiley Anyways, I would start with those denoising plugins. Just out of curiosity- was this level of grain a surprise? Perhaps you can speak to the transfer house about it. Maybe they telecined a certain way that greatly exaggerated the amount of grain. I've shot a bunch of regular and super 16 and that's more grain than I've ever seen.

Noah

March 24, 2009 12:14AM
Yeah, it was a surprise, however I just burned some of the footage to a DVD and on a television the grain is considerably less noticeable. Does that mean anything good?
JAS
March 24, 2009 01:40AM
I had reels of 16 millimeter film transferred to DVCAM for editing in Final Cut Pro. I also noticed pronounced film grain when viewing the footage in FCP on an Apple Cinema Display. The grain was far less apparent when viewing the video on an NTSC monitor, however.
March 24, 2009 12:25PM
Who was the DP? Did the DP push process the film? Looks to me like the DP rated the stock for 640 at least.

Dan
March 24, 2009 01:07PM
michaelpaulucci Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, it was a surprise, however I just burned
> some of the footage to a DVD and on a television
> the grain is considerably less noticeable. Does
> that mean anything good?

well sure- blurring is a form of denoising. And you're coming down from a 1080 source so you have some resolution you can burn off to get to a 480p DVD. I guess the point is you can certainly make a usable disc out of this. Not ideal but far from un-salvageable.

-Noah

March 24, 2009 03:59PM
Your shots look totally destroyed. Maybe they were compensating for miscalculated exposure settings?? You really need to get back to the post house and re-examine what was captured on film.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics