re: Correct XML version and settings for going from FCP6.0.4 to FCP5.1.4

Posted by derekmok 
re: Correct XML version and settings for going from FCP6.0.4 to FCP5.1.4
May 09, 2009 09:08AM
I just ran some test XML files intended to translated an FCP6 project file for use on an FCP5.1.4 system. FCP5.1.4 shoud be able to import XML versions up to v03, but we did multiple exports (XML v02, v03, v04 test files) just in case.

However, an earlier batch of XML exports (from 04-28-2009) worked, and a later batch (from 05-06-2009) didn't -- attempts to open them with FCP result in "critical XML error".

They were exported from the same project file, but the guy who did the earlier exports is out of the country until Thursday. Can anybody suggest what the correct settings would be? What might we have missed on the second export?

www.derekmok.com
Re: re: Correct XML version and settings for going from FCP6.0.4 to FCP5.1.4
May 09, 2009 09:51AM
Should be fine with v3 Derek, but an overly complex project/timeline (especially one with nested sequences) can give the target system conniptions ... could that be the trouble? If so, try simplifying the sequence build, exporting it in small sections etc and rebuild on the target system.
Hope it helps ... Would gladly offer to help personally but don't have FCP5 loaded on my home machine at the moment and am off work for the next few days (lucky me).
Andy
May 09, 2009 12:52PM
Yeah, I don't think it's an issue with version numbers, because on both test runs we did multiple version numbers (v2, v3, v4), and only the ones we did on the second one failed, regardless of which XML version was used.

Complexity of the timeline is a possible culprit, since the tests weren't necessarily done from the same timeline.

www.derekmok.com
May 11, 2009 09:43AM
Derek,

One thing to try: export the things without audio, this often kills the transfer.
You also can send me the files and I'll have look.

Regards
Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
May 11, 2009 10:00AM
Thanks, Andreas.

It looks like Andy's theory was correct: The assistant exported a simple version-three XML of a sync sequence (with audio) that imported into FCP5.1.4 without problems yesterday. Looks like I just happened to pick a too-complex timeline to do the test.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics