which hard drive?

Posted by salem 
which hard drive?
June 13, 2006 02:49PM
I'm looking to by my first portable hard drive for a G5 quad with OS 10.4.4. IT will be used to edit with FCP. Any recommendations as to what works and what doesn't? and/or what specs I should be looking for? I'm looking for something around 500 gb.

Thanks
Re: which hard drive?
June 13, 2006 03:50PM
G-RAID. Go for a FireWire 800 drive, not 400 if you can.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
June 13, 2006 04:05PM
search the forum for the term "firewire drive" and you will come up with TONS of info
June 13, 2006 05:37PM
I just went out and bought a 250 GIG external LACIE HD Firewire 7200 rpm, it works great, very fast.. firewire is better, Usb 2.0 is just as good though.
June 13, 2006 06:56PM
<<<Usb 2.0 is just as good though.>>>

You may get some arguement there. USB2 has some real problems when doing live video--either direction. Must better to stick with one of the FireWires.

Koz

June 13, 2006 07:04PM
> USB 2.0 is just as good though

Absolutely not. USB can't be used for digital video. It sends data in packets, so playback and capture won't be able to keep up. Unless you like your captured video to be in six-frame frozen stills with audio and video completely unsynced.

> I just went out and bought a 250 GIG external LACIE HD Firewire 7200 rpm

Don't get Lacie. This brand's got the highest per centage of breakdowns, misbehaviour, and complaining editors. In my own experience, Lacies have a 50 per cent chance of breaking down, and Maxtors are next. Get a G-Raid, OWC or Promax.
June 13, 2006 08:03PM
Thats what I thought Damn Comp USA guys...i always prefer firewire over USB any day
June 13, 2006 11:44PM
NEVER trust a person in a retail store! they almost never have any idea of what theyre doing. if they did, they wouldnt be working in a retail store
June 14, 2006 12:21AM
Also take into consideration that you wil want a RAID 0 set-up, for greater speed and efficiency (or RAID 1 for enhanced back-up protection. You The G-RAID series is the by far the best solution for starter RAID drives that are by any comparitive standard very affordable. I purchased a G-RAID 500 through BH Photo for about $420.00. These drives are also rated for media content, and have a built in fan to keep things cool. This is something to consider when getting tempted by the $99 250Gig drives that places like Fry's electronics are selling these days. Finally, the Lacie drives, do seem to be unreliable. I've experienced mulitple failures to mount with two separate drives. In one case, I ended up paying $500.00 to get my very precious content back.

www.slantyhouseproductions.com
June 14, 2006 02:27PM
Hey folks thanx for the replies. I've been checking out the G-Tech stuff at their web site and they show a G-Raid and a G-Drive. From what I understand the Raid has two disks and a fan the Drive no fan and one disk. I presume the fan is best but what about the one versus two disk issue?

Thanks
June 14, 2006 05:49PM
The one disk drive basically is just that: a simple storage drive for content. The two disk drive is what makes it a RAID drive in the sense that it simultaneously uses both disks to share the load of information going in and out of the Drive connected to your computer. I think G-TECH sells the single disk drive a basic consumer hard drive for info storage. After all, for the everyday user, a RAID system is overkill. But if you plan on shifting around alot of big QT files and uncompressed media, you will want it.

www.slantyhouseproductions.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics