Best way to get 8mm into FCP for HDV edit
June 28, 2006 08:36AM
This is a bit off topic, but I'm filming a doc on fishing locally here north of Boston. I've found a number of 8 and Super 8 films from the early 1960's that I'd like to incorporate. I'll be editing in FCP in the fall, and am shooting the rest of the doc with a z1 in HDV.

I suppose I could run the films and photograph the screen. Might even add an interesting vintage look. However, I'd really like to send them out and have them come back digital. HDV would be even better, though that seems kind of a stretch.

Lower budget is better. Self-financed film.

Thanks for

James Waldron Design
15 Green Street
Newburyport, MA 01950
Re: Best way to get 8mm into FCP for HDV edit
June 28, 2006 11:49AM
Last I checked, Yale Labs in California does Super-8mm telecine. Don't know if the place still exists, but I got the information from Kodak or Fujifilm. Try calling them; they'll probably be able to tell you how to get your film transferred without shooting a screen. Actually, come to think of it, a documentary I was assistant-editing on last month had Super-8mm footage transferred to DV NTSC for editing, so somebody somewhere must still do this processing.
June 28, 2006 12:34PM
They still exist. But the best place in the country to get this done is Pro8mm in Burbank.

www.pro8mm.com

They use the same telecine machines that features use for 16mm and 35mm, and the operators are amazing. They are a bit expensive, but well worth it.

Yale labs is a little cheaper, but use similiar telecine machines. I would trust both facilites with my footage.
June 28, 2006 05:06PM
Thanks gang.

James Waldron Design
15 Green Street
Newburyport, MA 01950
June 28, 2006 10:05PM
Go to the link below. This is the most active Super 8 forum on the web. The consenus seems to be that Pro 8 does terrible work despite their equipment. Flying Spot in Seattle gets raves. The situation may be different for someone actually in L.A. where you would be able to make physical contact with Phil & his staff.

Check what the current Super 8 community has to say.

[www.filmshooting.com]

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics