HDV to DV sequence consolidation

Posted by JemEnt 
HDV to DV sequence consolidation
June 29, 2006 04:13AM
Can anybody please impart any wisdom about bringing a HDV sequence 1080i60 with a locked edit into a DV sequence so that I can intercut the footage?

I've been trying different methods (obvs. exporting the HDV sequence as a DV NTSC quicktime) and I can't seem to avoid a degradation in quality.

I just read a lot about the HDV's very tempermental compression ratios and the fact that it compresses with GOP methodology.

Do I have to conform or rebuild it to retain it's full resolution before exporting it into my DV sequence?

The edit unfortunately mixes formats and this is defintely one of the pratfalls of doing so.

Thanks for the help on the best way to handle this workflow.
Re: HDV to DV sequence consolidation
June 29, 2006 06:17AM
Try Canopus Pro.
[www.canopus.com]

Went for a demo, seems like that's the best solution for HDV, HD (and mixed format) editing at the moment --- without the headaches!

Version 4 (August) promisees to be awsome.

Just my 2cents..
June 29, 2006 10:23AM
This is how I've done it so far... I export the HDV as a self contained movie. Pull that into compressor and downconvert using NTSC 16:9 anamorphic, then use that in my regular dv timeline. The footage looks fantastic.

good luck!

kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
June 29, 2006 11:15AM
thanks for the suggestion, I'm trying this process now.
June 29, 2006 11:25AM
how do I aquire the 16x9 setting in Compressor?
June 29, 2006 02:07PM
Its in the conversions area under settings. NTSC 16:9 anamorphic. Something like that. I'm not in front of FCP right now.

Einstein
June 29, 2006 02:21PM
I tried it and there is still a significant degree of pixelation......I can't figure it out. There is an obvious denegration of quality from the HDV seq to export....
June 29, 2006 03:14PM
How are you viewing your footage? Do you have an NTSC monitor or are you viewing on the computer screen? What is your set up? How does the HDV footage look before you do anything with it?

Einstein
June 29, 2006 03:53PM
I'm working on a 23 inch Cinema Display, but I'm viewing single frames on an NTSC monitor......I captured the HDV footage from the camera at 1080i60 and have been cutting in the same setting ---

The HDV footage looks a lot better in it's native sequence before I downconvert/downrez it to DV.......

The DV downconversion looks so alarmingly bad and that's why I'm second guessing my workflow and looking for alternatives at the same time.

It was suggested that I actually UPREZ the HDV sequence using the DVCPRO HD codec, then go back down to DV from there......this suggestion was made because of the already heavily compressed HDV footage (how it's compressed in camera).

I think now with hindsight being 20/20 we should have just downconverted this HDV footage on capture and been home free.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics